Removing indirect run-time link dependencies.

Removing indirect run-time link dependencies.

Post by Vaughn Cat » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:10:57

I'm developing an OpenGL application on a system
using XFree86 4.0.x.  Whenever I link the
application with libGL.so, it also links to
libGLcore.so, since libGL.so depends on libGLcore.so.
This means that I can' t run the
application on a system not using XFree86 3.3.x,
or any other X Server for that matter.  Is there a
way I can get the link to not include libGLcore.so
in the list of required shared libraries for the
application?  If I link the program on a system
using XFree86 3.3.x, such that libGLcore.so is not
a required shared library for the application, I
can still run it on an XFree86 4.0.x system, so I
know that having my application require
libGLcore.so directly is not necessary.  It isn't
clear to my why an application would want to
include the indirect shared library dependencies
since the run-time linker will handle these.

  Thanks for you help,
  - Vaughn

1. changing dependencies at run-time (make)

Someone must have run into this problem:  What do you do if you want to
change dependencies in a makefile at run-time depending on what is being
made?  Could use two different makefiles, one for target A and one for
target B.  But the makefiles would be almost identical.

The idea is that I have two programs build on top of one source tree.  To
build the one requires that I change a few data structures here and there,
and this requires that a lot of object files be rebuilt.  So I can't just
turn the common code into a library.  The sizes of key data structures dif-
fer when one or the other package gets built.

--

2. Can you do 16bpp w/Genoa 8500VL and 16M RAM?

3. run-time link order affects Applications?

4. journalling filesystem

5. How to find out if a system call is run-time linking or static?

6. tar

7. Linking and run-time libraries in Unix

8. Help w/ finding Ethernet Card

9. are any particular filesets needed for run-time linking?

10. Run-time linking

11. Compile-time versus run-time

12. Need help with 'time' C Run-Time Library functions under HP-UX

13. Removing PPP Run Time Utilities