New app - publicity?

Post by Mark Tranchan » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:05:54

I've just written a really small utility, because I needed it. It's like the
opposite of head(1) and tail(1): it gives you the file *except for* the
first or last n lines.

Freshmeat won't take it because it's too small and simple, yet I'd still
like to make its availability known in case others would find it useful. Any
suggestions?

Page is at http://www.tranchant.freeserve.co.uk/computing/decap.html

--
Mark.

New app - publicity?

Post by Kasper Dupon » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:23:47

> I've just written a really small utility, because I needed it. It's like the
> opposite of head(1) and tail(1): it gives you the file *except for* the
> first or last n lines.

Why a new tool? Ever tried: tail +5 filename?
If you instead add the + feature to head, they
can do what your tool does.

Don't do this at home kids: touch -- -rf

New app - publicity?

Post by Mark Tranchan » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:04:12

> > I've just written a really small utility, because I needed it. It's like
the
> > opposite of head(1) and tail(1): it gives you the file *except for* the
> > first or last n lines.

> Why a new tool? Ever tried: tail +5 filename?
> If you instead add the + feature to head, they
> can do what your tool does.

Hmmm. I wish I'd known that earlier.

My version of head does not do the + thing. Were you suggesting that I add
the feature myself, or are you saying that your version of head already does
it?

tail +5 filename is the same as my decap, but I can't do my depod with head
and tail.

Thanks!

--
Mark.

New app - publicity?

Post by Kasper Dupon » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:27:31

> > > I've just written a really small utility, because I needed it. It's like
> the
> > > opposite of head(1) and tail(1): it gives you the file *except for* the
> > > first or last n lines.

> > Why a new tool? Ever tried: tail +5 filename?
> > If you instead add the + feature to head, they
> > can do what your tool does.

> Hmmm. I wish I'd known that earlier.

> My version of head does not do the + thing. Were you suggesting that I add
> the feature myself, or are you saying that your version of head already does
> it?

I was suggesting to add it. My head has no + either.

Quote:

> tail +5 filename is the same as my decap,

OK.

Quote:> but I can't do my depod with head
> and tail.

Maybe that would be equivalent to what you'd expect head +5 to do if
it was implemented.

Post by Mark Tranchan » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:33:31

> > My version of head does not do the + thing. Were you suggesting that I
add
> > the feature myself, or are you saying that your version of head already
does
> > it?
> I was suggesting to add it. My head has no + either.
> > tail +5 filename is the same as my decap,
> OK.
> > but I can't do my depod with head
> > and tail.
> Maybe that would be equivalent to what you'd expect head +5 to do if
> it was implemented.

Yes, it is. I have sent a note to Jim Meyering, the current GNU textutils
maintainer, asking if a patch to head to add this feature would be accepted.

Thanks for your input.

--
Mark.

1. How to start a new app from code in my app?

Hi,

I have an app, and it needs to start another app.

I tried to use execv(); and it works, but then my app is quitted.
(It seems my process is being replaced with the now app's process)

I don't want this behaviour.
How can I start an app from code, and let the calling app continue
executing?

--
Many regards,

Bonny Gijzen
TB Systems
Holland

2. ftape trying to access A: (/dev/fd0) not the tape drive (B:)

3. How to launch a new app on a new xterm window

4. Dependencies problem during RPM installation

5. M$ and their publicity stunt

6. NFS-mounting FAT for Read+Write?

7. Lists: Publicity - Libraries - Bookstores - Film Producers - Art Galleries - Custom (more)

8. Problems with mars_nw.....

9. Jack Schofield gives yet more free publicity to the Micros~1 organization.

10. Linux needs product placement for increased publicity

11. Linux Publicity Project - REQ for info

12. Linux publicity

13. What you need is a Publicity Agent!