Linux newbie trying to port Win32 code

Post by Mike Darret » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 07:41:40

Hi guys,

I am developing a graphics program in Windows 98 using OpenGL, but want to
develop now on Linux platforms (because Windows just crashes too
much). How should I begin? I hear the "widgets" toolkits in OpenGL are not
free if a programmer wants to access them (have to pay a fee)... I just
want to develop on X-Windows, KDE, gnome, etc.

Any help / book suggestions / web sites would be appreciated

Mike Darrett
www.geocities.com/mrdarrett

Post by Daniel Frankl » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 09:28:13

>Hi guys,

>I am developing a graphics program in Windows 98 using OpenGL, but want to
>develop now on Linux platforms (because Windows just crashes too
>much). How should I begin? I hear the "widgets" toolkits in OpenGL are not
>free if a programmer wants to access them (have to pay a fee)... I just
>want to develop on X-Windows, KDE, gnome, etc.

You don't have to pay a cent to anyone... KDE, Gnome and X are all available
under Free Software license (GPL, LGPL, BSD, etc...). The terms and
conditions vary but you don't have to pay anyone to develop for these
platforms. Linux has an implementation of an Open-GL-like (it is to all
intents and purposes fully compatible but hasn't been officially certified
as such and so cannot be said to be an OpenGL implementation) library called
Mesa, which is also Free Software. There are also commercial OpenGL
implementations available. You can certainly use Mesa with KDE or Gnome.

Some web sites to look at:

www.kde.org
www.trolltech.com (KDE is base on the GPLed qt library from TrollTech)
www.gnome.org
www.gtk.org (Gnome is based on GTK)
www.mesa3d.org
www.xfree86.org
www.x.org

- Daniel

*      Daniel Franklin - Postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering

Linux newbie trying to port Win32 code

Post by Guy Rouilli » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 14:43:55

Not trying to start a religious war, and with all due respect the the
newsgroup I'm posting this in, but no one in their right mind would
develop on Win9x.  WinNT/2000 is a hundred times more stable than
Win9x.  Not saying you shouldn't go with Linux.

>Hi guys,

>I am developing a graphics program in Windows 98 using OpenGL, but want to
>develop now on Linux platforms (because Windows just crashes too
>much). How should I begin? I hear the "widgets" toolkits in OpenGL are not
>free if a programmer wants to access them (have to pay a fee)... I just
>want to develop on X-Windows, KDE, gnome, etc.

>Any help / book suggestions / web sites would be appreciated

>Mike Darrett
>www.geocities.com/mrdarrett

=============================
Guy Rouillier

Post by Michel Bardiau » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 19:40:48

> Not trying to start a religious war, and with all due respect the the
> newsgroup I'm posting this in, but no one in their right mind would
> develop on Win9x.  WinNT/2000 is a hundred times more stable than
> Win9x.  Not saying you shouldn't go with Linux.

Hear, hear! I've done a lot of development on both UNIX (incl. Linux)
and Wintel, and working under 3.11, 95 and 98 is a real nightmare, since
any bug in your program (*very* likely during development!) can corrupt
kernel space. NT3.5, Nt4 and NT2000 are all right for development.

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent

1. perl Newbie trying to figure out UNIX exit status codes

: Hola!
:
: Like lots of folks, I'm a Perl newbie.
:
: I'm working on a Perl script that uses the system() command to tar and
: compress some directories before rcp'ing the resulting files to another host.
: I'd like to be able to check the UNIX return codes from the system() command
: to make sure that each system() command executes correctly (and be able to
: record any errors to a file), but I haven't any idea how to go about this.
:
: Can anyone provide any suggestions, tips, examples (or locations of examples)
: that might help me figure out how to do this?
From `man perlfunc`:
     system LIST
                        ... The return value is the exit status
             of the program as returned by the wait() call.  To
             get the actual exit value divide by 256.  See also
             the exec entry elsewhere in this document.

So:
  $result = system($program);
  $exitcode = int($result / 256);       # or $result >> 8
  if ($exitcode == 0) {

Hugo van der Sanden

2. Should be a FAQ: Disable "PnP OS" on your BIOS!

3. irq handling code consolidation, second try (common code)

4. Is there a zip utility

5. Porting from Win32 services to Linux daemons

6. Driver for Qume MP/4 4-port serial board?

7. port win32 COM Server to linux CORBA server

8. IEEE 802.3

9. Porting Tool: GNU-WIN32 Version 18.1 B from Linux to Windows 95/NT

10. Porting from Win32 to Linux

11. porting WIN32 to UNIX (Linux)

12. Porting from Win32 to Linux

13. Porting Win32 app to Linux