GTK and GTK+

Post by Pauld » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I've been trying to decide which X API to program in and I've settled
for GTK since it looks nicer IMO.  What's the difference between GTK and
GTK+?  I'm guessing that GTK+ is a C++ wrapper class thing around GTK?
If this assumption is correct then where do I get it and where do I get
the docs on it?
--
Paul Richards (Pauldoo) - http://www.pauldoo.co.uk

"If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
     -- Windows 95 BSOD

GTK and GTK+

Post by Marijn Vrie » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 11:57:00 +0000, Paul Richards (Pauldoo)

>Hi,
>I've been trying to decide which X API to program in and I've settled
>for GTK since it looks nicer IMO.  What's the difference between GTK and
>GTK+?  I'm guessing that GTK+ is a C++ wrapper class thing around GTK?
>If this assumption is correct then where do I get it and where do I get
>the docs on it?

GTK+ is a C API. There's a C++ Wrapper for GTK+ called GTK-- (ya, they
have humor).

All the information on GTK+ can be found on www.gtk.org. info on GTK--
can be found on gtkmm.sourceforge.net if im not mistaken.

Hope this helps..

--

Get my PGP key at a keyserver. eg: http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~pgp/
Fingerprint: 6895 DF03 73E1 F671 C61D  45F4 5E83 8571 C529 5C15

For every complex problem,
there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.

GTK and GTK+

Post by spi.. » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00

And verily, didst "Paul Richards (Pauldoo)" hastily scribble thusly:

Quote:> Hi,
> I've been trying to decide which X API to program in and I've settled
> for GTK since it looks nicer IMO.  What's the difference between GTK and
> GTK+?  I'm guessing that GTK+ is a C++ wrapper class thing around GTK?

Nope. That's GTK--.
GTK is the GIMP toolkit. I think GTK+ is just the proper name for it, or
just has a few more widgets, but either way, it's a C library.

Quote:> If this assumption is correct then where do I get it and where do I get
> the docs on it?

www.gtk.org has all the docs (including a rather good, but incomplete
tutorial).

|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|            in            |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|     Computer science     |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+ w-- M+/++  |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

GTK and GTK+

Post by David Alle » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,  I've been trying to decide which X API to program in and I've
> settled for GTK since it looks nicer IMO.  What's the difference between
> GTK and GTK+?  I'm guessing that GTK+ is a C++ wrapper class thing
> around GTK?  If this assumption is correct then where do I get it and
> where do I get the docs on it?

GTK+ is the same thing as GTK, it's just that people write GTK when
they're too lazy to type GTK+.  Technically, I believe anything after
a certain version is called GTK+, whereas the really early stuff is
called GTK, but most likely for your purposes, there isn't a difference.

The C++ wrappers are called GTK--.
--
David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/

GTK and GTK+

Post by Marijn Vrie » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 22:33:46 -0500, David Allen

>> Hi,  I've been trying to decide which X API to program in and I've
>> settled for GTK since it looks nicer IMO.  What's the difference between
>> GTK and GTK+?  I'm guessing that GTK+ is a C++ wrapper class thing
>> around GTK?  If this assumption is correct then where do I get it and
>> where do I get the docs on it?

>GTK+ is the same thing as GTK, it's just that people write GTK when
>they're too lazy to type GTK+.  Technically, I believe anything after
>a certain version is called GTK+, whereas the really early stuff is
>called GTK, but most likely for your purposes, there isn't a difference.

GTK turned into GTK+ when it was split of from "the Gimp" as a widget
set of it's own.

Quote:

--

Get my PGP key at a keyserver. eg: http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~pgp/
Fingerprint: 6895 DF03 73E1 F671 C61D  45F4 5E83 8571 C529 5C15

For every complex problem,
there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.

1. GTK guru -> program crashes complaining about gtk.......

Must I do more than install gtk12 from the ports to be able to install
Netscape-6.2, as far as gtk is concerned ?

That is, must I also install other gtk-related ports such as
gtk-engines, to render gtk fully functional ?

I realize that this relates to what a program is attempting, but my
question is.....is gtk12 fully functional or is it part of a suite that
must be installed to provide "typical" gtk functionality ?

I'm getting a gtk related error on Netscape install attempt........

        Gtk-CRITICAL     **: FILE GTKWIDGET.C: LINE 1510
        (gtk_widget_hide): assertion `widget != NULL' failed.
        Segmentation fault - core dumped.

Appreciatively,
Courtney

2. Which is the most stable version of the kernel?

3. GTK for shell scripts: the gtk-server

4. BSD compatable

5. Problems compiling Gtk-0.5120 and Gtk-Perl-0.6123

6. How to detect remote socket or pipe ends died?

7. Missing gtk-config while blding gvim w/ gtk

8. rpm problems: gtk vs gtk+

9. xfce installation, gtk vs gtk+

10. guile-gtk and gtk+-1.1.13

11. gtk and gtk+