1. 3 Qs: sio0 overflows, "unknown class 'root'", identd
I have a few questions about some entries in my /var/log/messages file
that I was hoping some bright spark could illuminate me on. :)
The first query is about a whole bunch of these:
<date> <host> /kernel: sio0: 1 more silo overflow (total <count>)
At first I suspected it was to so with me driving my modem port at
115,200 because it's a 16450 UART. Am I correct in my impression that a
16450 UART can be run at 115,200, like a 16550 can?
The second query is about my identd with IRC. I have it in my inetd.conf
with the man page recommended syntax:
ident stream tcp wait root /usr/local/sbin/identd identd -w -t120
and it actually lets me on to identd-only IRC servers. The only this is
/whois's of me still show the damn tilde (~) prefixing my username. I
get challenged by the occasional IRCOp about it (since I have my two
housemates using our network simultaneously).
Is it a problem at my end, or something to do with the fact I'm
connected via a permanent modem connection to my ISP and their identd
(or lack of) is causing problems?
The third query is about a zillion:
<date> <host> inetd[<pid>]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'
I'm damned if I can work out what this is all about. I wondered if it
may be something to with the identd problem mentioned above, but it
seems to happen at frequent irregular intervals 24 hours/day. (Again,
I'm not sure if it's identd involvement because we sometimes detach IRC
Or might the identd problem be due to the fact I have three Windows
machines connected (via 10base2) to my FreeBSD box (which is acting as a
PPP dialup and IP translator). Could it be that 3 users with 3 different
nicks and usernames are showing up as giving the same IP, thereby
confusing the identd (doesn't ident run on IP, not username?).
If someone can wade through that lot of stuff above and give me some
answers, I'd be greatly appreciative of it. Thanks in advance.
Would you mind Ccing any replies to me via email, please? I read this
group but, obviously, am loathe to miss any input regarding these
NB: Remove X's to email me (anti-spam)
3. Wrong major or minor number --but it's wrong
4. Installing Slackware with 1.3.n kernel. How?
5. mount: wrong fs type,... What's wrong?
6. LILO Bug with Slackware 2.0 release
7. How I trace back SIGSEGV etc. (was: Re: SIGSEGV trace)
8. getty_ps fails to spawn login on modem, any ideas ?
9. 'signal SIGSEGV(11)' ???????
10. What's wrong with 'file protocol' or 'http://localhost protocol'?
11. 'signal SIGSEGV(11)' ???????
12. 'df' and 'du' show wrong sizes
13. External 'time_t' variable 'altzone' seems to be wrong !