How to find lost ext2 partitions

Post by Yann Dupo » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello. I have a problem : I have two disks where the partition tables have
been erased by error (human error :)

The ext2 partitions haven't be damaged - or the damage is minimal.

But the partition tables were quite complex (2 swaps by disks, 2 ext2
partitions) And I can't manage to find the correct partition scheme.

Is there a way to find the correct partition, with finding the ext2
super-blocks ???

I tried with debugfs, dumpe2fs without much luck.
Also tried with fb to edit the whole disk, trying to find the ext2 MAGIC, which
is on the superblock I think... but using it is not very easy.

also tried ext2ed which seems to be the best tool for the purpose, but it
seems it's not running OK on redhat 5.2 (I don't see what I type on the
keyboard)..

finally i wrote a script which try and increment the superblock number for
e2fsck, (the -b parameter for e2fsck) but I got things like that :

e2fsck 1.13, 15-Dec-98 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
/dev/sdc contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Root inode is not a directory.  Clear<y>?

^^^^ This message seems not very good.
And what surprises me is that the block 17 shouldn't be a superblock ;
the disk is /dev/sdc: 17 heads, 62 sectors, 1009 cylinders

if I understand correctly, a block in the ext2 sense is, depending on the
ext2 format chosen, n sectors, in the most cases, just 2 sectors ???
(and I find also a superblock on block 8192+17 , 8192*2 + 17 , etc...)

So my questions :

It is logic i find a superblock there ?? Maybe there is a geometry problem ?
? in that case I can't use standard fdisk to rebuild the tables...

Is there a good sector editor out there (with pattern find)

or is there an easy way to search for a ext2 superblock, and maybe rebuild
the correct partition table ??

Yann
--
\|/ ____ \|/ Fac. des sciences de Nantes-Linux-Python-IPv6-ATM-BONOM....

   \__U_/    http://www.unantes.univ-nantes.fr/~dupont

1. How to find lost ext2 partitions

[...]

2. linux 2.2.17 with openwall patch probs

3. Lost Partition Table/How to find partition boundaries

4. E-MAIL LEGALITY

5. The beginning of ext2 partition is lost... help!

6. Adaptec 2920 supported??

7. fat32 + ext2 partitions lost. How to recover?

8. FTP remote commands ?

9. resize ext2 partition without losing data?

10. ext2 partition resize & ext2 in boot manager

11. find a word in Linux ext2 partition.

12. find without the "find: cannot read dir /usr/lost+found: Permission denied"

13. trying to find lost linux partition