Program powers off computer

Post by David Mean » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 11:58:55

> I've run into a rather strange problem. A program that I wrote is
> causing a particular computer to power off.

{ snip }

The first thing I would is look at the init code (the init program code).
 I think an 'init 5' will cause the system to power down.  It appears
that what ever it does, you're doing too.  I could be wrong though... It's
happened before  (just don't tell my wife, okay?)

;-)

David

Post by Joshua Jone » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:36:42

> Even if there were memory access
> errors, the programs should core dump, not power off the computer. What
> could be wrong?

How long does your machine stay up normally?  Will it stay up a while
without any problems under normal conditions?

--
 josh(at)intmain.net  |  http://intmain.net

 5738 local keystrokes since last reboot (today)

Post by Joshua Jone » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:39:53

> I think an 'init 5' will cause the system to power down.

Typically 'init 0' will shutdown the machine.  Runlevel 5 is usually
some type of X windows system.

--
 josh(at)intmain.net  |  http://intmain.net

 7143 local keystrokes since last reboot (today)

1. Can't switch OFF computer with ATX power supply while using FreeBSD v3.1 - RELEASE

Strange,

v2.2.8 didn't work
v3.0 was working fine
v3.1 does not work any more

I have to go DOS and then I could switch off the computer.

Is there anybody in this newsgroup that have had the same problem?

Is this fixed in FreeBSD v3.2?

Regards,

Eugene

P.S. BTW I have PC Power and Cooling Silencer 275 ATX power supply and
ABIT BH6 motherboard.

2. 386/40 motherboard/chipset question

3. Computer stays off at power outage.

4. Accessing M$ Exchange server

5. (Q) power off computer

6. A HP Unix workstation

7. why my computer can't automatically power off after shutdown

8. Linux killed my computer

9. kernel 2.4.16 - APM doesn't power off the computer...

10. Powering off system with the power button

11. RH 7.2 Power Management, power-off on shutdown?

12. How to setup auto MO mount when power on after sudden power off?

13. how to setup automatic MO mount when power on after an accidental power off?