Metrolink Motif 2.0

Post by LANGER STEVEN » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I've got XFree 3.1.1 and motif 2.0 from Metrolink. I cannot
build a static executable. I get;

  need libc.so.4

I have all the lib*.a files. The proof of this is that I CAN
build static apps that are plain ANSI C (eg. helloworld).
Also, I cannot get a core dump to debug after a crash, but ulimit
is set to unlimited.

thanks for any thoughts,
Steve

Metrolink Motif 2.0

Post by Richard Kilgor » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I've got XFree 3.1.1 and motif 2.0 from Metrolink. I cannot
>build a static executable. I get;

>  need libc.so.4

>I have all the lib*.a files. The proof of this is that I CAN
>build static apps that are plain ANSI C (eg. helloworld).
>Also, I cannot get a core dump to debug after a crash, but ulimit
>is set to unlimited.

Yeah, is that annoying or what?  Just add -lc to your gcc/g++ command
line and it'll be OK.

        Later,

        - rick

--
Richard B. Kilgore
Summer Intern, Intel Santa Clara

Metrolink Motif 2.0

Post by Frank Hofma » Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: >
: >I've got XFree 3.1.1 and motif 2.0 from Metrolink. I cannot
: >build a static executable. I get;
: >
: >
: >  need libc.so.4
: >
: >I have all the lib*.a files. The proof of this is that I CAN
: >build static apps that are plain ANSI C (eg. helloworld).
: >Also, I cannot get a core dump to debug after a crash, but ulimit
: >is set to unlimited.
: >

: Yeah, is that annoying or what?  Just add -lc to your gcc/g++ command
: line and it'll be OK.

:       Later,

:       - rick

I also got this error and I traced it back to the compiler. Simple programs
only needing libc worked fine, but as soon as many libs were linked in (as
for X programs), it didn't work. Using gcc 2.6.3, I always had to specify all
libraries on the command line - even if I was linking dynamically. I think
somehow the gcc 2.6.3 on the CD was screwed up; I replaced it with 2.5.8 and
had no more such problems since then.
Btw: It didn't help using gcc -g -o tst tst.c -lXm -lXt -lX11 -lc; the program
crashed when executing, although then linking succeeded.
Usually, one shouldn't need to give -lc anyway, so this must have been a
bug somehow.

Frank.

Metrolink Motif 2.0

Post by Matthias Kuehn (Holtho » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: I also got this error and I traced it back to the compiler. Simple programs
: only needing libc worked fine, but as soon as many libs were linked in (as
: for X programs), it didn't work. Using gcc 2.6.3, I always had to specify all
: libraries on the command line - even if I was linking dynamically. I think
: somehow the gcc 2.6.3 on the CD was screwed up; I replaced it with 2.5.8 and
: had no more such problems since then.
: Btw: It didn't help using gcc -g -o tst tst.c -lXm -lXt -lX11 -lc; the program
: crashed when executing, although then linking succeeded.
: Usually, one shouldn't need to give -lc anyway, so this must have been a
: bug somehow.

: Frank.

This looks like a problem between ELF on old COFF binary-format.  The
gcc 2.6.3 write ELF-binaries by default and the gcc 2.5.8 writes the
old binary-format. So if you want to link libraries with different
formats it didn't work. The linker knows the libc.so but it is in the
wrong format. There is an option for ld.so to see what format each
library, it knows, has.

Is motif 2.0 from Metrolink in ELF format or not.
If it isn't, you need an update ( once again ).

Bye
    Matthias

Matthias Kuehn

Metrolink Motif 2.0

Post by Steve Dunh » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: This looks like a problem between ELF on old COFF binary-format.  The
: gcc 2.6.3 write ELF-binaries by default and the gcc 2.5.8 writes the
: old binary-format. So if you want to link libraries with different
: formats it didn't work. The linker knows the libc.so but it is in the
: wrong format. There is an option for ld.so to see what format each
: library, it knows, has.

: Is motif 2.0 from Metrolink in ELF format or not.
: If it isn't, you need an update ( once again ).

Metrolink Motif 2.0 comes with libc5 based elf binaries.

Steve

Metrolink Motif 2.0

Post by Frank Hofma » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: : This looks like a problem between ELF on old COFF binary-format.  The
: : gcc 2.6.3 write ELF-binaries by default and the gcc 2.5.8 writes the
: : old binary-format. So if you want to link libraries with different
: : formats it didn't work. The linker knows the libc.so but it is in the
: : wrong format. There is an option for ld.so to see what format each
: : library, it knows, has.

: : Is motif 2.0 from Metrolink in ELF format or not.
: : If it isn't, you need an update ( once again ).

: Metrolink Motif 2.0 comes with libc5 based elf binaries.
About for 5 or 6 weeks now.

The time I got it, there were NO elf libs available from Metrolink.
I think it's time to upgrade to elf anyway - I need gcc 2.7.0 ...

Another thing: I don't have any ELF libraries on my system at the moment.
The compiler can't link in libraries of different formats as they all are
still non-ELF. I wonder why I don't get linker errors for other libs
(and Motif programs require a lot: -lXm -lXpm -lXt -lXmu -lX11 -lXext ...),
but only for libc (which usually needn't to be specified) ?

Bye.

Frank