Source of info on the ioctl.

Post by Robert J. Sprawl » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
        I'm looking for a good source for detailed info on the ioctl function.
Please don't tell me to see the man page because I have, and I've read
the header as well. In fact it's the header that lead me to believe that
there is *much* to the ioctl that the man page and header can't begin to
discuss. Is there a book or website that gives a detailed discussion on
the ioctl function.

--

Tactical Dynamics                       http://home.att.net/~sprawlsr

Source of info on the ioctl.

Post by Paul Flinder » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,
>    I'm looking for a good source for detailed info on the ioctl function.
> Please don't tell me to see the man page because I have, and I've read
> the header as well. In fact it's the header that lead me to believe that
> there is *much* to the ioctl that the man page and header can't begin to
> discuss. Is there a book or website that gives a detailed discussion on
> the ioctl function.

Have you looked at the manual pages for the device files (man fd, man
hd etc) The manual page for ioctl only gives the overview - it's the
man pages for the devices which tell you which ioctls a given device
has.

Source of info on the ioctl.

Post by spraw.. » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > Hello,
> >       I'm looking for a good source for detailed info on the ioctl function.
> > Please don't tell me to see the man page because I have, and I've read
> > the header as well. In fact it's the header that lead me to believe that
> > there is *much* to the ioctl that the man page and header can't begin to
> > discuss. Is there a book or website that gives a detailed discussion on
> > the ioctl function.

> Have you looked at the manual pages for the device files (man fd, man
> hd etc) The manual page for ioctl only gives the overview - it's the
> man pages for the devices which tell you which ioctls a given device
> has.

I'm looking at applying the ioctl to sockets, and I haven't seen any
info regarding using ioctl on sockets, yet I've seen code that uses
ioctl to get the broadcast address of a socket.

--
Me: I run Linux.   Win95 user: Why?   Me: Because I can.

Tactical Dynamics                       http://home.att.net/~sprawlsr

1. Info needed about IOCTL for TTY

I am writing a serial communications program, so I need to configure my
serial port (tty device). Everywhere I look I find a list with IOCTL
parameters, but never a list that explains what they mean.

If you have a description of the parameters, the way they should be used,
etc or if you have some example programs, please send them to me,

Albert Vos

2. linux-friendly ISPs?

3. Trouble accessing Quota info with ioctl

4. CUPS & GS = nogo

5. wierd problem with ioctl for getting interface info..

6. References / books on small network

7. dm-ioctl.h - device-mapper ioctl packet fixes

8. Welcome to CDWriting under Linsux

9. getting 'ioctl failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device'

10. Error: ftp: ioctl I_FIND ttcompat: Inappropriate ioctl for device

11. getting - "ioctl failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device"

12. Can any open source compiler convert C++ source to C source?

13. BSD source info wanted