Accessing the contents of DOS Formatted Floppy

Accessing the contents of DOS Formatted Floppy

Post by Venka » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:18:13

I have some object files .o files on DOS  formatted floppy. Is it
possible to access these contents from Linux? when I insert the floppy
and access it reports  : input/out put error.

Regards
Venkat

Post by eMail2M » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 21:18:40

> I have some object files .o files on DOS  formatted floppy. Is it
> possible to access these contents from Linux? when I insert the floppy
> and access it reports  : input/out put error.

> Regards
> Venkat

If you have "mtools" package installed, you can use "mdir", "mcopy", etc.
utilities from "mtools" package to list and copy the contents of your
flopyy drive without first mounting it. Otherwise, you just mount the
floppy drive and then use "ls" and "cp" to list and copy the contents of
your floppy drive.

Accessing the contents of DOS Formatted Floppy

Post by Sybren Stuve » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:38:55

Venkat enlightened us with:

Quote:> I have some object files .o files on DOS  formatted floppy. Is it
> possible to access these contents from Linux?

Yes.

Quote:> when I insert the floppy and access it reports  : input/out put error.

What commands are you using? Just mount it as fat or vfat.

Sybren

1. can't format a dos-formatted floppy disk

: Does anybody know ,how to format a DOS-formatted 3.5 inches 1.44M floppy
: diskette
: I have runned such command(as root) in REDHAT 6.0:
: # fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
: But got "CRC error ........" ,why ?

Here's a shellscript I wrote (it's an ugly hack, but it does the job)
a few years ago to to both a Low-Level format and then to put a DOS
filesystem on a diskette. If you save the script as "dosformat" you
would then invoke it as:

        dosformat /dev/fd0H1440

or whatever the device is you're formatting. it assumes you've got
mkdosfs on your system (it came with mine).

Fred
#!/bin/sh

# low-level format a diskette and write a validated DOS filesystem on it.

fdformat -n $1
if [ $? = 0 ]
        then
#echo open drive, close it, press ENTER...
#read kb
        /sbin/mkdosfs -vc $1
else
        echo Format failed!
fi

echo
echo done...
echo format another?
read kb
case $kb in
        y|Y)
                exec $0 $*
                ;;
        *)
                ;;
esac

2. Prolific USB network

3. Reading files off a DOS formatted floppy disk

4. Creating a mirror drive ... how do I do that?

5. Floppy Drive to write DOS formatted diskettes

6. Isapport SCSI from Acculogic

7. formatting a floppy. what am I doing wrong?

8. Upgrade???

9. DOS floppy format software for Sparcstation

10. floppy in DOS format

11. Mtools & non-standard formatted DOS floppies on a Sun workstation

12. How to mount a floppy disk of DOS format?

13. formatting dos floppy on solaris8 x86