How to do dynamic linking at runtime ?

Post by Frank Hofma » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Subject says it all.
I want to write a program which does dynamic linking at runtime, i.e. I get
the name of the dll (contains functions for which the number and type of its
arguments are known) by some way of user input, then load the dll and call
the additional functions. I once heard this might be possible with ELF
libraries ?

Please reply by email.

Bye !

Frank

--
This message is copyrighted (C) 1995 by Frank Hofmann and may not be
distributed over Microsoft Network. License to distribute this Message

Post by Joe Bu » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I want to write a program which does dynamic linking at runtime, i.e. I get
>the name of the dll (contains functions for which the number and type of its
>arguments are known) by some way of user input, then load the dll and call
>the additional functions. I once heard this might be possible with ELF
>libraries ?

Yes, there are functions named dlopen, dlclose, and dlsym that let
you do this.  They are exactly the same as the ones on Solaris and
other SVR4 systems.
--

1. Runtime dynamic linking.

Could someone point me to some references (ones I don't have to buy) which
describe for the variety of unixes if it is possible to do this type of
linking (like an OS/2 or Windows DLL) and how to do it in C???
Thanks.

        Evan

St. Paul, MN  55108                                             (612) 641-0844

2. personal organizer program for linux

3. dynamic loading vs. dynamic linking

4. Problem with installing the ap disk set

5. shmem works static-linked, but not dynamic-linked

6. Network terminals in Solaris 2.3

7. dynamic linking -> static linking == some _smaller_ executables

8. rebuild X libraries

9. Static linked std libraryes in Dynamic linked libraryes

10. time launching aspect : static link vs dynamic link

11. dynamic linking vs. static linking

12. Dynamic linking and link editor

13. dynamic link to static link...