Accessing ORACLE DB from Linux with TCL

Post by Ralf Schneide » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

is there a possibility to access an ORACLE database from Linux using
TCL/TK? I know that on AIX, Solaris, ... there's oratcl, an enhancement
for TCL to connect to the database. But you have to have a library from
ORACLE that is linked to it (as far as I know).

2 questions:

        1. Is that library available for Linux, too ?
        2. Is there another way to access the ORACLE database from TCL ?

Thanks for any help.

        Ralf.

--
#  Ralf Schneider

#    Telefon:      0711-9930260
#    Fax:          0711-9930261

Accessing ORACLE DB from Linux with TCL

Post by Robert Pay » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Or maybe from Perl, I have a friend using SyPerl for accessing
Sybase.

: Hi,

: is there a possibility to access an ORACLE database from Linux using
: TCL/TK? I know that on AIX, Solaris, ... there's oratcl, an enhancement
: for TCL to connect to the database. But you have to have a library from
: ORACLE that is linked to it (as far as I know).

: 2 questions:

:       1. Is that library available for Linux, too ?
:       2. Is there another way to access the ORACLE database from TCL ?

: Thanks for any help.

:       Ralf.

: --
: #  Ralf Schneider

: #    Telefon:      0711-9930260
: #    Fax:          0711-9930261

--
Robert Payne

Post by Saschi der Oberus » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: Hi,

: is there a possibility to access an ORACLE database from Linux using
: TCL/TK? I know that on AIX, Solaris, ... there's oratcl, an enhancement
: for TCL to connect to the database. But you have to have a library from
: ORACLE that is linked to it (as far as I know).

: 2 questions:

:       1. Is that library available for Linux, too ?
:       2. Is there another way to access the ORACLE database from TCL ?

Well we here at our university have made the following solution for that:
dptcl on linux to access the sun with oracle over the net.
oradptcl (dptcl + oratcl ... its a bit tricky) to access the database ...

Accessing ORACLE DB from Linux with TCL

Post by Larry W. Vird » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

:: Hi,
:
:: is there a possibility to access an ORACLE database from Linux using
:: TCL/TK? I know that on AIX, Solaris, ... there's oratcl, an enhancement
:: for TCL to connect to the database. But you have to have a library from
:: ORACLE that is linked to it (as far as I know).
:
:: 2 questions:
:
::      1. Is that library available for Linux, too ?
::      2. Is there another way to access the ORACLE database from TCL ?

I don't think there's a way to access an ORACLE database without ORACLE
code regardless of the language, unless you somehow have remote access
to a machine which has sqlplus or something like that.
--

:s <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/> <*> O- "We are all Kosh."
:s Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should

Accessing ORACLE DB from Linux with TCL

Post by Eric Vough » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I don't think there's a way to access an ORACLE database without ORACLE
> code regardless of the language, unless you somehow have remote access
> to a machine which has sqlplus or something like that.

That's probably the way to do it. Use expect and open an rsh to the
remote machine and run sqlplus. That's guaranteed to be portable if not
terribly fast. You can get rid of expect and gain some speed
improvements by compiling a very light SQL shell on the server side that
just accepts SQL on STDIN and spits the results back on STDOUT- no
prompting or complex messages to sort out. This is basically what we're
using at AFSAA. Hell, I suppose if you want to do a little more work,
you can have the program talk to a socket and ditch rsh... We haven't
gotten that ambitious yet.

1. Accessing an Oracle DB from Linux

I need to access an Oracle data base that (unfortunately) resides on an
NT server. I have set up sqlplus on Linux (from Oracle 8i for Linux). I
can get to the windows network (using smbclient and smbmount). I have an
NT logon id and password that work (I tested them on an NT box and I use
them with smbclient and smbmount) and can get to the data base by typing

Unfortunately I cannot get this to work from the Linux box. Somehow I
need to login to the windows network (so that windows sees my id and
password). I think I need to install Samba to set up the login but am
not sure. (I have smbclient and smbmount without having installed
Samba.)

I can ping the server (using it's name) and everything else seems to be
working just fine.

Rick

--

2. hot new site

3. Apache/WinNT: Oracle DB of usernames to authenticate Website access

4. How to measure connect speed on modem?

5. web access to oracle DB

6. RTHAL

7. PHP on Linux: connection to an Oracle DB ?

8. Linux INFO-SHEET

9. Oracle 8 DB & Linux 6.0: mount points

10. TCL DB User Auth in Apache

11. Linux Tcl/Tk diffs in netcom.com: ~ftp/pub/yggdrasil/misc/tcl-diffs

12. DB access (ODBC?) from Linux client

13. Access dB's to Linux