Linux semaphores

Post by Bill Michaelso » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

My SCO-compiled application won't run on a customer's Linux box
because a semctl operation fails, returning errno 34.  Can anyone
tell me if there is anything special I need to know about using
Linux semaphores that is different from the many other UNIX platforms
the application runs on?

TIA
Bill Michaelson

1. linux semaphore problems

I have recently been experimenting with semaphores and ran into a problem
I can not figure out.  Whenever I delete a semaphore I have created
with the semget call, semctl operations on subsequent new semaphores
fail with errno set to EIDRM, "Identifier removed."

It does not matter if I delete the semaphore with the semctl system call
or ipcrm, the effect is the same.  The new semaphore can be created in a
separate process or by another user, it does not matter.  Nothing short
of rebooting my computer seems to restore my ability to manipulate the
semaphores I create.  The odd thing is that if I use ipcs to list the
semaphores on my system after the semctl failed with a EIDRM, I can see
that the semaphore I ran semctl on does in fact exist.

I am using Red Hat Linux 5.0 with my kernel being at version 2.0.32.
Thank you in advance for any info!

W. Michael Petullo
Owner and Proprietor, 207.28.200.247

This message was brought to you in part by the Linux operating system.

2. New User, Please help

3. Linux semaphore set

4. failed redhat 6.2 installl now can't fdisk

5. Linux semaphores. (semget & semop)

6. SSH on RH 6.2 ?

7. Linux semaphore implementation

8. FD 1680 Sig for BIOS v 3.5?

9. Real Time(Message Based) or Linux(Semaphores)

10. Linux Semaphore operations in kernel code.

11. Linux semaphore

12. Puzzling Linux semaphore problem

13. Increasing # of semaphores in semaphore set?