Problem with xmkmf

Post by Thierry DELHAIS » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm trying to generate a Makefile based on an Imakefile provide with RH
Motif 2.1 demos programs. xmkmf run fine and target the corresponding
Makefile. But when I run make under this makefile, it'allways hang with

$ xmkmf -a
mv -f Makefile Makefile.bak
imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
make Makefiles
Makefile:628: *** missing separator.  Stop.

The Imakefile :

----------------- BEGIN-------------------
XCOMM$ xmkmf -a

        DEPLIBS = MrmClientDepLibs
LOCAL_LIBRARIES = MrmClientLibs

SRCS = flic.c
OBJS = flic.o

NormalLibraryObjectRule()

MSimpleUilTarget(flic)

DependTarget()
-------------------END--------------------

When in my Imake file I comment the line MSimpleUilTarget(flic)
and run again xmkmf the make command seems advance one step more.

I found that in fact any demos programs provide with Motif cannot be
compiled beecause of the same problem. All the rules call from my
Imakefile refers to Motif.rules under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config.

I'm not a guru in X11 makefile and and I don't know enough the
preprocessor system to find solution. Does someone have an idea. About
the mistake. May be an installation problem ???

Thierry DELHAISE

Problem with xmkmf

Post by Larry Morle » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Thierry,

A couple things you might want to try -

% imake -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
% make

without -DUseInstalled, and directly from a shell prompt.
"UseInstalled" gets defined by make at a certain point in the
"make" process with an imake generated Makefile.  Actually, I'm
supprised that you didn't end up with some peculiar errors by
defining it manually.
The other is to compile & link your app  directly -

% gcc -omyXapp -L/usr/lib/X11 -lXaw3d -lXmu -lXt -lXext -lX11 myXapp.c

in the case of Athena / Xlib / Intrinsics; for motif, your libraries
will be different (you probably already know this).

Quote:> May be an installation problem ???

An imake configuration problem, more likely.  One thing I've found
about imake is that I'm best off using it -after- I've written and
tested my app (usually with a manual compile).  Then I mess with
imake, if its something I'm planning on building somewhere else.
I hate imake, but I've got to admit it's good for portability
(once you get the damn thing to work).

Good luck,
Larry Morley

1. problem with xmkmf

When I try to run xmkmf on an Imakefile, I get the following error:

  %> xmkmf
  mv -f Makefile Makefile.bak
  imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
  cpp: Imakefile.c: No such file or directory
  imake: Exit code 33.
    Stop.
  %>

Does somebody now what could go wrong here?

Thanks,

-Remco

2. shared mem limits in linux6.2

3. help - problem with xmkmf

4. SCSI emulation/kernel2.2.5/CDR works?

5. Problems with xmkmf

6. Problem with IDE HardDisk

7. problems with xmkmf HELP!

8. Secure dialup

9. HELP problem with xmkmf

10. Calling xmkmf, calling Dr. xmkmf.

11. OW3.1 xmkmf is ok - Re: Solaris 2.1 OW3.x xmkmf -- WRONG!

12. X11R6 Contrib xmkmf problem

13. Help: How to set environmental variable OPENWIN and xmkmf compilation problems/error