static libraries

Post by (korova » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

is there a way i can see the implementation behind a *.a file(s)?
i used "nm" but i got confused when i saw the output.

static libraries

Post by Nathan Yor » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> is there a way i can see the implementation behind a *.a file(s)?
> i used "nm" but i got confused when i saw the output.

 A static library is an archive of object files.  You could do an "ar x"
to extract all the .o files, but these are still object files.  If you
don't have the underlying source there's probably not much more you can
do than disassembe these files.

Nathan York

1. Problems linking static library on executable and static library

Hi,
  I'm a newbie in programming on Un*x platforms, so maybe, it could
be caused by my lack of experience.

Ok. I have a static library "libSM.a" depending on two libraries one
of them shared: "libErrP.so" and a static one: "libCB.a"

I'm trying to compile an executable "EInvA" linking with both "libSM.a" and
"libCB.a" and get the following error:

CC  -mt -fast -DNONE_CLASH -o RELEASE/EInvA     RELEASE/inva.o
-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lCstd -lc -lnsl -lsocket -lclntsh
-L/libs/libSM/STATIC -lSM -L/libs/libCB/STATIC -lCB

Undefined symbol                 first referenced in file

int CB::Connect(char*, char*) /libs/libSM/STATIC/libSM.a (libSM.o)
CB::CB()                      /libs/libSM/STATIC/libSM.a (libSM.o)
CB::~CB()                     /libs/libSM/STATIC/libSM.a (libSM.o)

And "CB" symbols are defined in "libCB.a"

?Could someone tell me what could be happening?

Thanks in advanced,
   R.

2. NFS Problems

3. Compiling static libraries as shared libraries

4. splitting *big* files with low overhead

5. Building shared library which includes static libraries

6. forced automounting

7. Can a static library be compiled into a shared library?

8. sendmail question

9. linking static library against another library

10. Converting a Static Library to a Shared Library

11. Building shared libraries that contain static libraries.

12. dynamic link libraries and static libraries

13. Using static libraries and shared libraries in same program?