Segmantation fault(core dumped)

Post by Amir » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Will anyone tell me what is this annouing error means?

Segmantation fault(core dumped)

Post by David Z. Maz » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Amir> Will anyone tell me what is this annouing error means?

Essentially "something died".  It's more or less the equivalent of the
infamous Windoze "general protection fault", except that (a) it won't
take down your system and (b) you actually have enough information to
reasonably debug the program.  Try running 'gdb <myprog> core', where
<myprog> is the name of the program you're debugging, then type 'bt'
at the gdb prompt.  This will show you where the program died and give
a stack backtrace.  Try reading the gdb manual for more information.

--

"Theoretical politics is interesting.  Politicking should be illegal."
        -- Abra Mitchell

Post by oberza.. » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Will anyone tell me what is this annouing error means?

That means that the program crashed and that the last state of the program
in the memory was stored to the file PROGNAME.core . This can be helpful for
debugging ( You can load this core file with the de* and see why it
crashed ).

--

Gru? King Leo

------------------------
| (__)    (__)    (__) |
| ( oo    (oo)    oo ) |
| /\_|    /\/\    |_/\ |
------------------------
|  The Cow is with me  |
------------------------

Post by Paul Kimo » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>  Try running 'gdb <myprog> core', where
> <myprog> is the name of the program you're debugging, then type 'bt'
> at the gdb prompt.  This will show you where the program died and give
> a stack backtrace

... if the program was compiled with debugging symbols ("-g"), and
they have not been stripped out.

--

Post by Juergen Hein » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>Will anyone tell me what is this annouing error means?

It's an acronym for "You botched it" ;-) ... if it is not a
programme you can re-compile with -g to use the de*
an strace -f programme can be helpful.

If it is yours, then you might have to enable the generation
of core dumps with a ...
ulimit -c unlimited
... on the shell (bash) will do the job as it sets the upper
limit for the core size, often 0 per default.

Ta',
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

Post by Amir » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > Will anyone tell me what is this annouing error means?

> That means that the program crashed and that the last state of the program
> in the memory was stored to the file PROGNAME.core . This can be helpful for
> debugging ( You can load this core file with the de* and see why it
> crashed ).

> --

> Gru? King Leo

> ------------------------
> | (__)    (__)    (__) |
> | ( oo    (oo)    oo ) |
> | /\_|    /\/\    |_/\ |
> ------------------------
> |  The Cow is with me  |
> ------------------------

Which debuger?!?!?

Post by King Le » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>> > Will anyone tell me what is this annouing error means?

>> That means that the program crashed and that the last state of the program
>> in the memory was stored to the file PROGNAME.core . This can be helpful for
>> debugging ( You can load this core file with the de* and see why it
>> crashed ).
> Which debuger?!?!?

I think gdb ( GNU De* ), but don't ask me how this work's. I never did that.

--

Gru? King Leo

------------------------
| (__)    (__)    (__) |
| ( oo    (oo)    oo ) |
| /\_|    /\/\    |_/\ |
------------------------
|  The Cow is with me  |
------------------------

Segmantation fault(core dumped)

Post by Ashwin Kapu » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > Which debuger?!?!?

> I think gdb ( GNU De* ), but don't ask me how this work's. I never did that.

Just do

gdb program_name core_file

1. Get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" but no core file found

On our Solaris, when a program has a segmentation fault, it crashes and
prints out the message "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" but the core file
is somehow not written to the disk and cannot be found afterwards. Does
anybody has similar experience? How can I fix this problem?

2. Scheme runs under Solaris ?

3. dump core or not dump core

4. NETCOM and Slackware 3.2

5. core dumps core dumps everywhere...

6. Shared libs in aix4.2

7. "Segmentation fault( core dumped ) "<--- sentence is driving me mad!!!!!

8. XFree86 on Millenium II....

9. Segmentation fault (core dumped) ????

10. pthreads, GDB, Segmantation fault

11. Segmentation fault (core dumped)

12. make Segmentation fault (core dumped)

13. sh: Memory fault - core dumped