measuring system load

Post by di.. » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Hello. I'm trying to find a way to measure system load on linux.  I cannot
> use the "w" or "uptime" command because it would be too slow for my intended
> application.  Is there a system call or a library to do so? thank you in
> advance.

all that info is available by reading 'files' in /proc. For example
/proc/loadavg
contains the data that uptime reports.

measuring system load

Post by robert havoc penningto » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Hello. I'm trying to find a way to measure system load on linux.  I cannot
> use the "w" or "uptime" command because it would be too slow for my intended
> application.  Is there a system call or a library to do so? thank you in
> advance.

There's /proc/loadavg, man 5 proc

Havoc Pennington
http://pobox.com/~hp

1. How to measure system load?

Using a cluster of computers, some of which will awakened as the computing
load on their partners reaches maximum.  Looking for a good strategy to
measure load.  Several commands seem to offer information.

The simplest I have found is 'uptime,' which advises "system load averages
for 1, 5, and 15 minutes."

Does anybody know what the programmer's idea of "load" entails?   CPU
utilization?

Put simplistically, my idea of a 100% loaded system is one on which the
launching of new processes or tasks begins to slow down already-running
processes.  I wonder if uptime's idea of load is a good measure of this.

Thanks

2. Slirp and Linux?

3. measuring system load

4. samba question

5. Linux/GCC library bugs

6. Measuring System Load

7. MS Office-like suite for Alpha Linux?

8. How is load average measured?

9. How can I measure the network load ?

10. Measuring Processor Load

11. Measuring machine load