Using the debugger in Linux- HELP!

Post by Aamer Sachedi » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi Folks,

I have some questions about debugging in Linux.  I have been using the
"xcdb" debbuger from IBM on AIX.  My first attempt with xxgdb was a disaster.
I could not even attach the debbuger to the src file.  Is there some documentation
that I could read on the de* (either xxgdb or any other avaliable under linux).

I am mainly interested in the kernel src tree.  So any tips on how to step through
kernel src would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Aamer

Post by Ronald Perrell » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi Folks,

> I have some questions about debugging in Linux.  I have been [stuff removed]

Forget xxgdb and use DDD.  It should be easy to search with
Altavista or something.

It also works on other non-Linux platforms.

--
Ronald Perrella

Homepage: www.mindspring.com/~perrella
Roswell, Georgia, USA.

Try: http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/softech/ddd/

--
Max Welton
  http://www.netcom.com/~maxw | Wherever you go, there you are.

1. Problem while using the debugger - Help

Howdy netters,

While debugging, when I step through a program, the debugger takes
me to a no-man's land on library function calls. For example, suppose
I am about to execute this line

10.   InFile = fopen("temp.dat", "w");

When I enter "step", instead of going to line 11, the debugger takes me
to a line which says

0x23456   __DTOR_END__

On the next step, my program receives a signal 11 (segmentation), and
crashes.

Things work fine if I use a combination of "break points" and "continues",
and just not use "step" at all.

Can someone please tell me what the problem is and how can I correct it?
Is it that the files containing code for library functions (fopen, etc)
have been compiled with partial debugging info in them?

The machine is a spark station running Solaris. I use gcc/gdb for my
purpose.

Thank you for your help.

Pradeep

2. GCC 3.0 going to be included in Red Hat Linux 7.2?

3. Compare file modification date using tcsh built-ins

4. Fixing utmp handling under Linux

5. Stabbed US preacher flees INDIA state (The same INS tactics used against the stabbed preacher)

6. How to autostart daemon and change system path?

7. Plug-Ins using C++

8. More CAP probs w/Solaris 2.3

9. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?

10. Which debugger is window debugger?

12. Netscape helpers and plug-ins, also java help

13. HELP WITH DIAL INS