Database Development under Linux

Post by Bob Dilwort » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

All:

If one were going to do commercial database application development
under Linux, what database product would you all use?  Ideally, I'm
looking for a 4GL GUI development environment with tools equivalent to
Powerbuilder, Uniface, hell, even a Visual Basic-like development
environment would be great!  Is there anything out there for Linux or
that runs on Linux??

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Bob Dilworth
Toledo, Ohio

Post by Guillaume Schm » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: All:

: If one were going to do commercial database application development
: under Linux, what database product would you all use?  Ideally, I'm
: looking for a 4GL GUI development environment with tools equivalent to
: Powerbuilder, Uniface, hell, even a Visual Basic-like development
: environment would be great!  Is there anything out there for Linux or
: that runs on Linux??

: Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Well, I am working on a interface DataBase<->Web on Linux for a small
company. We have choosen PostgreSQL and perl (PerlTk). The database is
well featured and well suppoted (www.postgresql.org). Perl with the Tk
extension has provent to be an exetremely powerfull and easy solution to
write an app with a GUI. There is a perl->postgres interface (in the
distribution).

--

Post by Bob Dilwort » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Well, I am working on a interface DataBase<->Web on Linux for a small
> company. We have choosen PostgreSQL and perl (PerlTk). The database is
> well featured and well suppoted (www.postgresql.org). Perl with the Tk
> extension has provent to be an exetremely powerfull and easy solution to
> write an app with a GUI. There is a perl->postgres interface (in the
> distribution).

> --

Guillaume:

Thanks for the info.  I was able to download postgres from the web site
you mentioned, but I'm unable to find PerlTk.  My Linux system has perl
5.003.  Is that the same thing or does one have to obtain a special
version??  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Bob Dilworth
Toledo Ohio

Post by Stephen Hurrel » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> All:

> If one were going to do commercial database application development
> under Linux, what database product would you all use?  Ideally, I'm
> looking for a 4GL GUI development environment with tools equivalent to
> Powerbuilder, Uniface, hell, even a Visual Basic-like development
> environment would be great!  Is there anything out there for Linux or
> that runs on Linux??

> Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

> Thanks!!

> Bob Dilworth
> Toledo, Ohio

Here is my current Linux/RDBMS/SW/HW setup:
        - Dual P-90, 96Mb Ram, 16Gb SCSI HDisk, 4mm DDS tape.
        - Linux 2.0.29 & MD striping.
        - postgres95 6.0
        - Tcl/Tk 8.0a2
                - Linux src
                - Win95 binary
                - Visual Tcl 1.07 (evaluation in progress)
        - perl 5.003 & pg95perl5 interface & a3-compiler
        - postODBC 0.21 & MS Excel 5.0 for support tables D/E.
        - RDB 2.5k: perl based flat file RDBMS (no limits, no failure, no
features)
        - MpSQL & WDB 1.3b? Web Viewer - Pg95 front end.
        - Pg95 HDisk alloc: 5Gb
                - 3 prime tables (250bytes) of 4 million rows each,
                - 8 support/pick/lookup/join/junk tables of max 40000 rows each.

As long as you have an effective backup strategy to cover pg95's etal
"endless beta" status. The listed tools are as featured as any kilo-buck
product out there.

Our site's main concerns are;
        - Shrinking backup window. (hey whot's new ;-)
        - Seamless Tcl <-> Pg95 access from Win95 is elusive.

Cheers, Steve

---