CFLAGS for mpeg_play?

Post by Juergen Koslows » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi there,

I'm seeing nice speed improvements after installing PGC pl8 on my
machine, especially when compiling with the -O6 option (e.g.,
12% in teTeX, and a noticable improvement in xanim).  But when I
tried to recompile mpeg_play (version 2.1), I could not recreate
the behaviour or the speed of the linux ELF binary that is
available.  Running on a 32 bit display, the ELF binary automatically
seems to use "-dither color" (although it explicitly suggests this
option), and prints out messages to the effect that memory is being
shared.  All the versions I compiled used "-dither ordered" by
default (no matter what flags I set in the Makefile), and did not
produce messages about shared memory.  Explicitly requesting the
option "-dither color" when running the program fixe the first
problem.  But in any case, the versions I compiled were slower
(I got frame rates of <12.6 compared to >13.6 with the ELF binary).
I do have an ELF system.  So I'd like to know what tweaks were
used to produce this nice fast binary???

cheers,

-- J"urgen

--
J"urgen Koslowski                  | If I don't see you no more in this world
                                   | I meet you in the next world

1. Summary of answers: feeding CFLAGS of "make CFLAGS=-g" to sub-makes

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about how to ensure that
"arguments" such as "CFLAGS=-g" in a command line such as

        make CFLAGS=-g whatever ...

get fed to recursively-invoked makes.

sub-makes if you use a command line of the above form.

and you're a "sh" user, you can use a command such as

        CFLAGS=-g make whatever ...

to get the desired effect--since the

        CFLAGS=-g

precedes the word "make", it gets put in the environment; System V make
(and in particular, sub-makes) looks in the environment for variables.

look through the environment for variable values.

a version of make derived from System V that runs under BSD.
This version does pay attention to the environment.
But even with a MORE/bsd source license, you don't get /usr/5bin/make source.
Still, if you're willing to run an unmaintainable program, you can follow the
directions in the Mt. Xinu documentation and use /usr/5bin/make.

and are unwilling to run an unmaintainable program) and you're a "sh" user,
putting this script in your personal "bin" directory:

        #! /bin/csh -f

        exec /bin/make $*:q "`printenv`"

should allow you to use commands such as

        CFLAGS=-g make whatever ...

and get the desired effect.
--
UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
--

        DEC, VAX, Elsie & Ado are Digital, Borden & Ampex trademarks.

2. MI/X, Gimp and LyX -- possible?

3. Solaris cc to gcc CFLAGS??

4. Looking for an RPM of WindowMaker.51. with KDE enabled

5. best CFLAGS for multimedia on mmx cpu and other optimize questions

6. Linux running on Pentium Pro (P6)

7. CFLAGS

8. Emulating the RETURN key

9. gdb 4.16 CFLAGS

10. Mpeg Play 2.0.1: I need CFLAGS for Makefile

11. CFLAGS/COPTFLAGS

12. feeding CFLAGS to sub-makes

13. Make world with -O3 (where to set CFLAGS?)