Postscript Converters for DotMatrix

Post by Emmanuel Ido » Mon, 06 Feb 1995 18:39:15

I'm a novice Linux user/developer.  I was wondering does Linux already support
the ability to convert postscript files to dot matrix or are there patches that
can locate to enable this function?

I have a Panasonic KX-P1123 24pin dot matrix printer...  I heard that it
emulates an Epson; I forget the model number.  But I heard from friend that
Linux might have a postscript converter that works with an epson...

Hey, if you can help please help...  If my information is all wrong please
correct... thanx for you time...

Emmanuel (Manny)
NYIT-CompSci Student

Post by Nick Kralevi » Mon, 06 Feb 1995 18:56:49

>I'm a novice Linux user/developer.  I was wondering does Linux already
>support the ability to convert postscript files to dot matrix or are
>there patches that can locate to enable this function?

Take a look at Ghostscript.  It should be installed as "gs" on most
installations.  Type "man gs" to get more information.  Basically,
you would type the following to convert an image from postscript
to dot matrix format:

gs -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=- filename.ps | lpr

(assuming you have your dot matrix printer working as lpr).

All this information, and more, is available in the Printing-HOWTO,
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO

Take care,
-- Nick Kralevich

--
LINUX, the FREE           | University of California at  | Nick Kralevich

future available via anon | Electrical Engineering and   | berkeley.edu
FTP. Ask me about it.     | Computer Science.            | finger for PGP

Post by William J Hu » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 15:07:08

>>I'm a novice Linux user/developer.  I was wondering does Linux already
>>support the ability to convert postscript files to dot matrix or are
>>there patches that can locate to enable this function?
>Take a look at Ghostscript.  It should be installed as "gs" on most
>installations.  Type "man gs" to get more information.  Basically,
>you would type the following to convert an image from postscript
>to dot matrix format:
>gs -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=- filename.ps | lpr

CRUCIAL with the 24pin printers to specify resolution ( -r360x180 or such )
otherwise it looks reallllllly baddddddddd

E Pluribus Linux

--
William Hunt, Portland, Oregon, USA

1. Printing Postscript files on an Epson dotmatrix printer.

Hello,

I am trying to setup Linux (RedHat 3.0.3 w/kernel 2.0.0) to print
postscript files in graphics mode on my Epson LQ-510 (24-pin dot matrix)
printer.  I have ghostscript and ghostview installed, I also have
printer support compiled into my kernel.  Printing text files using lpr
works fine.  I can also view ps files using ghostview.

I have tried reading the Printing HOWTO and Printing-Usage HOWTO.  I've
also read the gs man page and asked around about it on IRC.  I've had no
luck so far though.  I did get one filter installed; however, it would
print text files in graphics mode, but wouldn't print ps files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...please respond via
e-mail...thanks.
--
***************************************
*    David John Davis    * Team OS/2  *

*    Durant, Oklahoma    * ---------- *
***************************************
* http://www.isc-durant.com/davisdj/  *
***************************************

2. hard drive ultra dma mode 4 problem?

3. WANTED: Mac Postscript to Sun Postscript converter

4. Xdenu setup

5. dotmatrix and postscript/tex

6. unlink kppp console helper

7. Need cad *.dxf (2d) to postscript (eps) converter

8. Merge 4, terms, and binary errors.

9. Mac PICT -> Postscript converter needed

10. Is postscript -> TIFF (fax) converter available?

11. TeX dvi to PostScript convertor

12. TTF->PostScript Font Converter??

13. postscript converter for linux