Reading the timestamp counter or other cycle counters on x86 Linux?

Reading the timestamp counter or other cycle counters on x86 Linux?

Post by Steven Bro » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I need to time some code at the cycle level to check up on my pipelining.
If I remember right 'RDTSC' only works at 0-privilage level.  Is there a way
I can get this to work in Linux, or any other way of timing code to the
cycle in Linux?  I think I've heard of a way to do it on Alpha Linux, but
I'm on x86 Linux.

Reading the timestamp counter or other cycle counters on x86 Linux?

Post by Andrea Borgi » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

On 22 Oct 1997 05:55:05 GMT,

Quote:>cycle in Linux?  I think I've heard of a way to do it on Alpha Linux, but
>I'm on x86 Linux.

I think I've seen what you're looking for: go to ftpsearch and ask it
to locate a file called "driver.tar.gz", or, alternatively, connect to
your nearest RedHat/Linux mirror and get "pentium-profiler*" (it's a
package I've made from that source).

I'd suggest you try locating the original package, as it may have been
updated since I last checked it. If you can't find anything, get back
to me and I'll email it to you; I'd do it now, if my other PC were
running Linux right now.

Hope this helps.

--

FTP and mirror administrator on caristudenti.cs.unibo.it
Homepage:  http://caristudenti.cs.unibo.it/~borgia/