Socket Access Denied

Post by Steve Housem » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello Scott,
As far as I can think, there are no access permissions on ports
per se, it is down to the server app to do its own verification.
Although - if using inetd to fire up the server then often inetd.conf
is setup to use tcpd to verify various things (suitably vague :-)
If using inetd with tcpd, then try without tcpd and see.
Another gotcha is the network byte ordering stuff which given the symptoms
that can go sun->sun and linux ->sun implies that it would be the server
(sun using network byte order and linux not) ... although as
you are getting connection refused ?, I would think that unlikely.
Only other thoughts are to check with netstat that the server is listening,
and to use tcpdump to check that the request comes in on the right port.
Probably also worth a shot at trying to telnet to the server - probably
fail but may give some more info ?
Hope you fix it soon,
Cheers,
Steve Houseman

--

currently  steve.houseman at * net

Socket Access Denied

Post by Scott.R.Wachtle » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
  I've written several client-server applications that I'm trying to
port over to linux. When I run the clients though they are denied access

to the sockets defined. The applications all ran fine on my Solaris box,

and the clients running from a Linux box can connect with my Solaris
box, but they're unable to connect to by Linux box. It appears I have a
permissions problem but I'm unable to locate it.
   I've double and triple checked settings in etc/services, inetd.conf,
hosts.allow, hosts.deny and even hosts.equiv. I'm able to telnet in on
port 25, and access my web page off port 80. Is there any other place
where access may be being denied or someplace I need to specify access
allowed on more ports? I'm running all scripts as super-user still to no
effect.
Nothing is showing up in my logs.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
       Sincerely,
            Scott Wachtler

Socket Access Denied

Post by g.. » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Probably also worth a shot at trying to telnet

to the server - probably

Quote:> fail but may give some more info ?

Hi,
I have the same "problem" ( we both miss the same
thing, I think)on the same OS RH 5.2.
I also tried to telnet from another user
on the same box (127.0.0.1).
Same result "Refused".
Then I disabled ftp and put my program listening
to port 21, no way!

If u find the answer please e-mail me (I'll do
the same)

Andrea

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Socket Access Denied

Post by g.. » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Another gotcha is the network byte ordering stuff which given the
symptoms
> that can go sun->sun and linux ->sun implies that it would be the
server
> (sun using network byte order and linux not) ... although as
> you are getting connection refused ?, I would think that unlikely.
> Only other thoughts are to check with netstat that the server is

listening,

Thanks Steve!
You were rigth.
With "netstat -a" I discovered that I was listening to
port 0x0FC1 when I asked 0xC10F.

Scott: I u listen to a port which is not included in /erc/services
and /etc/inetd.conf you don't need to conf hosts.allow/deny
Just go direct to the port (the one that netstat -a has to show in
LISTENING mode)

Andrea

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Socket Access Denied

Post by g.. » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Another gotcha is the network byte ordering stuff which given the
symptoms
> that can go sun->sun and linux ->sun implies that it would be the
server
> (sun using network byte order and linux not) ... although as
> you are getting connection refused ?, I would think that unlikely.
> Only other thoughts are to check with netstat that the server is

listening,

Thanks Steve!
You were rigth.
With "netstat -a" I discovered that I was listening to
port 0x0FC1 when I asked 0xC10F.

Scott: I u listen to a port which is not included in /erc/services
and /etc/inetd.conf you don't need to conf hosts.allow/deny
Just go direct to the port (the one that netstat -a has to show in
LISTENING mode)

Andrea

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Socket Access Denied

Post by Scott.R.Wachtle » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
  Not sure if this is what you guys were talking about, but netstat led
me to the point where I found the function inet_aton wasn't returning
the correct ip address (possibly due to the network byte ordering
stuff?) I hardcoded my boxes hostname into the function and it ran
correctly. When I get some more free time I'll look into it some more
and see where I or it was going wrong.
  Thanks for all the help though.

> > Another gotcha is the network byte ordering stuff which given the
> symptoms
> > that can go sun->sun and linux ->sun implies that it would be the
> server
> > (sun using network byte order and linux not) ... although as
> > you are getting connection refused ?, I would think that unlikely.
> > Only other thoughts are to check with netstat that the server is
> listening,

> Thanks Steve!
> You were rigth.
> With "netstat -a" I discovered that I was listening to
> port 0x0FC1 when I asked 0xC10F.

> Scott: I u listen to a port which is not included in /erc/services
> and /etc/inetd.conf you don't need to conf hosts.allow/deny
> Just go direct to the port (the one that netstat -a has to show in
> LISTENING mode)

> Andrea

1. Socket Access Denied

Hi,
  I've written several client-server applications that I'm trying to
port over to linux. When I run the clients though they are denied access
to the sockets defined. The applications all ran fine on my Solaris box,
and the clients running from a Linux box can connect with my Solaris
box, but they're unable to connect to by Linux box. It appears I have a
permissions problem but I'm unable to locate it.
   I've double and triple checked settings in etc/services, inetd.conf,
hosts.allow, hosts.deny and even hosts.equiv. I'm able to telnet in on
port 25, and access my web page off port 80. Is there any other place
where access may be being denied or someplace I need to specify access
allowed on more ports? Nothing is showing up in my logs.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
       Sincerely,
            Scott Wachtler

2. kernel image

3. Mtools "cannot access /dev/fd0 :access denied"

4. Remotely mounted news. What are the strategies?

5. 2.4 X86: ftp error, socket permission denied?

6. AIX 5L V5.2

7. HELP: Problem with rlogin: rcmd: socket: Permission denied

8. Examples of TCshell scripts

9. rcmd: socket: Permission denied URGENT!

10. RCP,RLOGIN rmcd: socket: Permission denied

11. (13)Permission denied: accept: (client socket)

12. lbxproxy : Binding Unix socket: Permission denied

13. ping: socket: Permission denied????