Adding a shotcut in X

Post by Stanle » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

How do I add a shortcut(as in windows platform) for a installed program in
X.

Adding a shotcut in X

Post by Christopher Brow » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>How do I add a shortcut(as in windows platform) for a installed
>program in X.

This is something that varies based on which window manager you favor,
and on which distribution of Linux you're using.

- Most window managers (e.g. - WindowMaker, fvwm, kwm, icewm,
  Enlightenment, ...) have their own individual "configuration
  language," and generally have some syntax for allowing you to add
  things like menu entries.

- Some distributions (Red Hat and Debian leap to mind) have created
  "metalanguages" that add config information into a sort of
  "centralized registry of applications," and then have "config
  generators" that will take that registry and turn it into
  configuration data suitable for all the window managers that have
  been installed.

- The GNOME and KDE desktop systems both offer some functionality in
  this regard, collecting together application invocation data for
  their own apps.  They also tend to let you use their file managers
  to "drag and drop" application files to their "panels," which should
  begin the configuration effort for adding the application to the
  "panel."

You may want to check the documentation for your distribution, as
they're likely to document some support for this sort of thing.
--
Portions of this broadcast have been prerecorded.

1. Errors compiling Wingz 1.4 Add-ins (Linux 1.3.99, GCC 2.6)

I use the Wingz spreadsheet under a SunOs 4.1.3 at work, and am trying
to set up a similar environment on my Linux system.  To do this I need
to compile Wingz external add-ins.

(Nice spreadsheet by the way. See the homepage at:
 http://www.wingz.com/Welcome.html)

The problem is that I am unable to link after compiling.  The add-in
code has no 'main', as it is in a file $WINGZ/lib/libwztools.a.  On
SunOs, doing a:

gcc -O -I$(WINGZ)/include -c TestFunc.c -o TestFunc.o
gcc -O -I$(WINGZ)/include -o great_zot TestFunc.o \
       -L$(WINGZ)/lib -lwztools -lm

works great, but under Linux the link fails with a message like:

/usr/lib/crt1.o (...) undefined symbol 'main'

'nm' shows 'main' as being defined in $WINGZ/lib/libwztools.a, so
I am at a loss to how to get this to compile.

        Linux Kernel:   1.3.99
        Wingz version:  1.4
        GCC version:    2.6

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Shaun
Shaun Lawson           Tel:    [+81]3-5571-7388
Assistant Vice Pres.   WWW:    http://www.atrium.com/shaun

2. HELP: ATI 3D XPRESSION+ PC2TV - XFree86 Support?

3. Communicator dies on add-ins

4. Mount NTFS partition with RH7.3

5. Wingz add-ins - how to write

6. NFS, Linux client, OSX server

7. Keyboard Macros/shotcuts under X-Windows/Linux

8. man - SEE ALSO

9. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

11. Suse 7.0; Yast2, kinternet, rc.dialout und ich komme nicht ins Internet

12. Netscape plug-ins on AIX 4

13. what is a INS server?