automake help

Post by tedk » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:02:54

Hi,

I'm hoping someone knows what to do with this...

(some background) I've got a project (that I've already started using
anjuta) that uses automake. I decided that I want to include extensions
to this application that I can dynamically load. The plan is to allow
extension .so files to be specified from the configuration file. (this
all works flawlessly) I then decided that a number of the features
already present in the application should probably be considered
extensions. So, I decided to include a number of these extensions along
with the project. Here's where the problem comes in...

(problem) I want to create an additional "top-level" directory in my
project called modules. (I've already got a src/) Inside I want to have
several .cc files which I want to be compiled into .so files (as simple
as 'g++ file.cc -o file.so -shared'). I also want these files to be
placed in $pkglibdir (which means basically /usr/local/lib/projname/)

I'm at a loss as to how to get this done. the GNU automake manual
mentions this sort of thing once, and doesn't help at all

(question) anyone know how to force automake to do this? or know of a
project that does something like this? (project-specific shared object
files using automake)

Hope I didn't forget something...
Thanks,
Ted

automake help

Post by Adam Finema » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:30:47

<snip> I'm at a loss as to how to get this done. the GNU automake manual

Quote:> mentions this sort of thing once, and doesn't help at all
> <snip>

There is a free online book that is a very good source of information:

http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

HTH,

Adam

automake help

Post by tedk » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:34:04

> <snip> I'm at a loss as to how to get this done. the GNU automake manual
>> mentions this sort of thing once, and doesn't help at all
>> <snip>

> There is a free online book that is a very good source of information:
> http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

Thanks, although it didn't specify how to do what I'm after (the section
on loadable modules seems to load .la files) It did provide me with
enough bits and pieces to hack together something that works the way I
wanted.

Just how correct it is, I don't know... appended for reference...

-Ted

LDFLAGS = -shared -module

pkglib_PROGRAMS = dis-regex.so

dis_regex_so_SOURCES = regex-main.cc