ar and files larger than 3 MB

Post by Thomas Kr » Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I am programming with g++ and the STL. Currently I'm running
into problems with the ar command. If I try to build libraries
bigger than about 3 MB the ar command aborts with <Segmentation fault>
and the library is left in an inconsistent mode.

Any help available?

Thanks in advance

Thomas Krug

P.S.:

Using #pragma interface and #pragma implementation would be too much
work for me, because for this you have to modfiy the STL (IMO).

ar and files larger than 3 MB

Post by Bruce Milne » Tue, 22 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I am programming with g++ and the STL. Currently I'm running
> into problems with the ar command. If I try to build libraries
> bigger than about 3 MB the ar command aborts with <Segmentation fault>
> and the library is left in an inconsistent mode.

> Any help available?

> Thanks in advance

> Thomas Krug

Just a guess (educated?), but you probably only have 3 meg left in tmp.
"ar" uses a temporary work area for building archive files. There is
a "l" option to use your current directory instead of tmp for working
files. I've had this happen on other UNIX's before.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

1. cannot copy files larger than 40 MB from CD

                               ^^^^^^^^^^^

Have you tried compiling your kernel using kgcc?

gcc-2.96.* is known to compile code incorrectly AFAIK, and shouldn't be
used for compiling kernels. (kgcc is egcs-1.1.2, I think.)

Chris

-

2. What does Linux do w/BIOS Calls (popups)

3. FILES larger than 64 MB

4. C&T 69000 and Hitachi Visionbook Pro 7755

5. How to use "find" to search for files larger than 10 MB

6. Problem installing: Adaptec + IDE HD + SCSI HD

7. Fdisk and larger than 504 mb partitions, help

8. Sun Certified Data Manager Engineer

9. PAR-AR-AR-titions, bless you!

10. Mount disks larger than 2 MB in SunOS 4.1.2

11. Formatting a floppy for larger than 1.44 MB

12. my 50 Mb Linux files on UMSDOS take up 200 Mb of Disk space !!!

13. Matrox Mystique ands X.