New GTK and Qt books?

Post by Reality is a point of vi » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

Are either any good?  Has O'Reilly recovered their knack for
quality?

--

Privacy on the net is still illegal.

New GTK and Qt books?

Post by Erik Severinghau » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

I didn't know there was an O'Reilly GTK book. I'll need to look into
that. There is a book "Developing Applications with GDK/GTK" which is
from everything I've heard great for beginners. I would be a little
hesitant to plunk down >$35 with the excellent quality of the online
tutorial tho.

> Are either any good?  Has O'Reilly recovered their knack for
> quality?

> --

> Privacy on the net is still illegal.

--
(o-  T| The Box Said "Win95 Or Better" So I Downloaded Linux :)
//\  U| Erik Severinghaus

AOLIM: ErikSe

New GTK and Qt books?

Post by Reality is a point of vi » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

 | I didn't know there was an O'Reilly GTK book.

It's probably the one you mentioned, from a different
publisher.

 | hesitant to plunk down >$35 with the excellent quality of the online
 | tutorial tho.
 +----

Me too, not a fan of unnecessary dead trees.  It was nice to
see them at the bookstore, and Fry's offering recent
distributions in their TV ads.  I suppose the next step is
Fry's advertising applications . . .

--

Privacy on the net is still illegal.

New GTK and Qt books?

Post by David M. Co » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 24 May 1999 04:43:26 GMT, Reality is a point of view

>Are either any good?  Has O'Reilly recovered their knack for
>quality?

The New Riders Gtk book is just OK.  It is somewhat padded out with an
excess of unecessariily complete source code examples.  Useful but not
essential.

Dave Cook

New GTK and Qt books?

Post by David T. Grov » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

> I didn't know there was an O'Reilly GTK book. I'll need to look into
> that. There is a book "Developing Applications with GDK/GTK" which is
> from everything I've heard great for beginners. I would be a little
> hesitant to plunk down >$35 with the excellent quality of the online
> tutorial tho.

The book is good, well worth $35. But it does have SEVERAL mistakes in
it. Most of them are obvious if you've been paying attention, though. It
wasn't edited or proofed very well.

> > Are either any good?  Has O'Reilly recovered their knack for
> > quality?

> > --

> > Privacy on the net is still illegal.

> --
> (o-  T| The Box Said "Win95 Or Better" So I Downloaded Linux :)
> //\  U| Erik Severinghaus

> AOLIM: ErikSe

1. GTK,GTK+,Qt, etc.., why not Swing for Linux GUI applications?

I am amazed looking at the wasted effort people put into reinventing the
wheel so many times.

why are people making new librararies to create GUI apps on X, when one can
simply use Java/Swing which has a very rich GUI API?  Why should one write
a GUI application on Unix using GTK+ or Qt or whatever the latest fashion,
when one can write the same application in the more advanced Swing kit? (and
as an extra benifit, have the application run not just on Unix/Linux, but
on Windows and VMS and OS/2 and the Mac and BeOS and As/400 and MVS and
OS390 and any other OS that have the JVM on it).

is there something inherit in the Unix programmer mentality to want to
duplicate, replicate, and create many falvours of the same thing all the time?

so, why use any X widget library when one can use Java Swing??

Bill

2. About ADSL and Linux

3. Gtk-Warning : GModule initialization check failed : Gtk+ version too new (micro mismatch)

4. TAR

5. new gnome/new gtk/no more gimp!

6. SPARCompiler C 3.0 and Device Drivers

7. Boy's Life, Linux, BSD, GNU, QT, GTK, KDE, AfterStep, and Oracle

8. LSM: Current policy

9. GTK vs Qt vs Motif vs tcl/Tk???

10. New Book: Big Book of World Wide Web RFCs

11. New Orange Book Book

12. GTK+ themes in QT

13. New Book: Big Book of IPsec RFC's