How to use automake?

Post by Laurent Duperv » Fri, 23 May 2003 00:53:22

Hi,

This is a stoopid question but...

I'm trying to use Autoconf/Automake to install a Tcl script and its
supporting library files. In my current directory, I created a
configure.in that looks like this:

AC_INIT(access, 1.9)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

I create a Makefile.am file that says:

bin_PROGRAMS = access
pgaccess_SOURCES = access.tcl

I ran autoconf on this then I did

automake --add-missing

and I keep getting this error:

automake: no `Makefile.am' found or specified

I tried it with autoconf 1.6 and 1.7 and still no dice. I tried to
strace the command to see if it ever tried to read or access
Makefile.am and it doesn't. I don't understand what the problem is.
Can anyone shed some light for me?

How to use automake?

Post by Roger Leig » Fri, 23 May 2003 03:23:02

> I'm trying to use Autoconf/Automake to install a Tcl script and its
> supporting library files. In my current directory, I created a
> configure.in that looks like this:

> AC_INIT(access, 1.9)
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

> I create a Makefile.am file that says:

> bin_PROGRAMS = access
> pgaccess_SOURCES = access.tcl

> I ran autoconf on this then I did

> automake --add-missing

> and I keep getting this error:

> automake: no `Makefile.am' found or specified

You need to add

AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT

to the end of configure.in (which should be named configure.ac
nowadays, BTW).

Can tcl be compiled?  If not, your Makefile.am is wrong, and you
should use bin_SCRIPTS instead.

HTH,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh

                Printing on GNU/Linux?  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/
                GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848 available on public keyservers

How to use automake?

Post by Laurent Duperv » Sat, 31 May 2003 04:05:49

> You need to add

> AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
> AC_OUTPUT

> to the end of configure.in (which should be named configure.ac
> nowadays, BTW).

Ok, thanks, I'll do that.

Quote:> Can tcl be compiled?  If not, your Makefile.am is wrong, and you
> should use bin_SCRIPTS instead.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks!

1. Using automake and autoconf with C++: A tutorial

Thanks to help which I have received in these newsgroups, plus some hacking
around, I have been able get autoconf and automake working adequately.
Because it was so difficult I have created a simple online tutorial which
should make life easier for other beginners.

http://www.murrayc.com/learning/linux/automake/automake.html

Murray Cumming

www.murrayc.com

2. trap command piped into another command

3. Using automake with two compilers

4. Run command in background by find and exec

5. install setuid binary using Automake and Autoconf?

6. Problem: performance NFS V3 vs NFS V2

7. Making make less verbose using autoconf and automake

8. Any supported cd-rw drives?

9. : Driver/Module Compilation Using GNU Automake/Autoconf

10. Automating Linux Driver/Module Compilation Using GNU Automake/Autoconf

11. Integrating a library using autoconf and automake

12. automake and dependencies

13. how to use automake