Toolkits

Post by Steve Hal » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi there

I'm looking into writing GUI/X (ie not kernel!) code under Linux - i'm
coming from a professional Windows environment - and am curious about
the 'best' toolkit to use.

I know this is highly subjective but I'd appreciate some feedback -
particularly if any of you, like me, are coming from a MFC / Win32 API
background like myself.

The 3 i've seen talked about quite a bit are GTK+, FLTK & wxWindows.
I'd be particulary interested how people found the cross-platform
versions of these libraries.  I've seen that FLTK & wxWindows tout their
x-platform abilities - what about GTK?  Are they truly x-platform?

I'm also looking for something pretty solid - and with plenty of
resources available - newsgroups, web etc....

I know this covers a lot of ground but I want to try to start on the
right foot so to speak!

Many thanks,

Steve H

Toolkits

Post by J.H.M. Dassen (R » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

[looking for resources on writing GUIs under X]

http://www.theoffice.net/guitool

HTH,
Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,

Toolkits

Post by Brian Gilma » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

If you want a tool that looks a lot like borland and uses the GTK+
libraries try vdkbuilder....
I think, www.vkd.org....
Metrowerks just came out with their GNU version of their IDE, I use it on
the mac and Linux....Very nice interface and extremely intuitive!
                                Brian

> Hi there

> I'm looking into writing GUI/X (ie not kernel!) code under Linux - i'm
> coming from a professional Windows environment - and am curious about
> the 'best' toolkit to use.

> I know this is highly subjective but I'd appreciate some feedback -
> particularly if any of you, like me, are coming from a MFC / Win32 API
> background like myself.

> The 3 i've seen talked about quite a bit are GTK+, FLTK & wxWindows.
> I'd be particulary interested how people found the cross-platform
> versions of these libraries.  I've seen that FLTK & wxWindows tout their
> x-platform abilities - what about GTK?  Are they truly x-platform?

> I'm also looking for something pretty solid - and with plenty of
> resources available - newsgroups, web etc....

> I know this covers a lot of ground but I want to try to start on the
> right foot so to speak!

> Many thanks,

> Steve H

Toolkits

Post by Boudewijn Rem » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hi there

> I'm looking into writing GUI/X (ie not kernel!) code under Linux - i'm
> coming from a professional Windows environment - and am curious about
> the 'best' toolkit to use.

You might also take into account the Qt widget set. A stable beta of version
2.0 has just been announced. I've liked the structure of the framework ever
since I first saw it, a when it just came out, and it's stable, full-featured
and relatively easy to use. One of its strengths is the incredibly versatile
table widget, for instance.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt

Toolkits

Post by Max Reaso » Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I'm looking into writing GUI/X (ie not kernel!) code under Linux - i'm
> coming from a professional Windows environment - and am curious
> about the 'best' toolkit to use.

> I know this is highly subjective but I'd appreciate some feedback -
> particularly if any of you, like me, are coming from a MFC / Win32 API
> background like myself.

> The 3 i've seen talked about quite a bit are GTK+, FLTK & wxWindows.
> I'd be particulary interested how people found the cross-platform
> versions of these libraries.  I've seen that FLTK & wxWindows tout their
> x-platform abilities - what about GTK?  Are they truly x-platform?

> I'm also looking for something pretty solid - and with plenty of
> resources available - newsgroups, web etc....

> I know this covers a lot of ground but I want to try to start on the
> right foot so to speak!

 If you want an integrated edit/compile/debug development environment
 with interactive graphical-layout GuiDesigner more than you "need" to
 program in C++, you might want to check out XBasic.  Before you laugh,
 (okay, after you laugh), you should know that XBasic is not as nutty an
 idea for a C programmer in your situation as it might at first seem.
 XBasic has been called "C in BASIC clothing" by several people.
 The fact that XBasic is written entirely in XBasic says something about
 its capability and flexibility.  Two implementations of XBasic are available
 for freeware download - one for Linux and another for Windows95/98/NT.
 Since you obviously have Windows on your computer too, you might find
 it interested to know that XBasic programs run on both implementations
 without changes - even programs with tons of graphics and GUI stuff.
 Also, XBasic native function-call implementation is C and OS compatible,
 so calling Linux OS system calls, Windows API functions, and C libraries
 is straightforward (yes, XBasic passes arguments by value - by default).
 Anyway, I can't tell whether you'd be interested or not, but you can read
 and download at: http://www.maxreason.com/software/xbasic/xbasic.html .
 Just an idea.
 max