TERM: is it dying out?

Post by Peter Da » Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

I am just wondering, what the current status of term. The last
version I am aware of was 2.3.5 which was released an year ago.

Is there still somebody working on it (doesn't look that way).
Are there still people using it (I am :-). Are newer similar
packages like slirp that much better? I had the impression (just
from hearsay), that at least as far as speed is concerned (I am
working over a pretty lousy 14400 bps connection), term is
scoring comparably good. What's your opinion?

Regards,
             Peter

  | http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~gator   _|||||_      691 46 35 |

  |---------------------------------- ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------|

TERM: is it dying out?

Post by Arcadio A. Since » Mon, 29 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Is there still somebody working on it (doesn't look that way).
>Are there still people using it (I am :-). Are newer similar
>packages like slirp that much better? I had the impression (just
>from hearsay), that at least as far as speed is concerned (I am
>working over a pretty lousy 14400 bps connection), term is
>scoring comparably good. What's your opinion?

    I've never used TERM so I can't comment on it's performance.  But I had
to make a decision on whether or not to use TERM or use SLiRP.  SLiRP seemed
to be a whole lot better.  Much better.  For one thing, you can use ordinary
network apps ('tho a few of them won't work without emulation).  For TERM,
you gotta term-ify net apps or get TERM-aware versions of net apps.  Sounded
like too much of a hassle to me.

   Also, according to the SLiRP docs, SLiRP is faster than TERM in certain
situations.  So overall, SLiRP seemed to be better.  TERM is only good for
those who can't run SLiRP.

Arcadio Alivio Sincero, Jr.
Sophomore, Computer Science Major at the University of Maryland at College Park
Amateur competitive bodybuilder

"Laugh at your mistakes; everybody else does."

TERM: is it dying out?

Post by scarn » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I was on a site being run by...well, idiots, and we didn't have PPP or
SLiP. Before we found out about slirp we were using term...and at the
time, yes, it was infinately preferable to using a straightin' dial
connection. But Term 2.3.5 was, compared to using PPP or Slip, very slow
and very unreliable, and much more difficult to set up and maintain. The
only thing I really liked about term was being stuff in X...but it's very
easy to rewrite some of the simpler X programs for use over PPP and
SLIP. It can be nice for remote shells and so forth as well, but again
those things can be rewritten for inet sockets. I don't see Term going
too far in the future, IMHO. It was nice while it lasted though. :)

TERM: is it dying out?

Post by Mikko Rauha » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: only thing I really liked about term was being stuff in X...but it's very
: easy to rewrite some of the simpler X programs for use over PPP and
: SLIP. It can be nice for remote shells and so forth as well, but again

Emm, all X programs should run no problem (if you don't count the
probably low speed) over slip/ppp (even slirp-emulated).

: those things can be rewritten for inet sockets. I don't see Term going
: too far in the future, IMHO. It was nice while it lasted though. :)

Agreed on both counts. Nowadays, slirp is simply a better and more
flexible solution if you don't have real slip/ppp account.

        - Mjr

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed above are mine and (hopefully) not those of the
Microsoft Corporation (not that I have anything to do with the thing)

TERM: is it dying out?

Post by Jeff Barro » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Agreed on both counts. Nowadays, slirp is simply a better and more
> flexible solution if you don't have real slip/ppp account.

How about this:  I don't have term OR slirp compiled for the VAX/VMS...
only access from this crummy college.. MUCH trouble porting, but I think
term will be easier....

TERM: is it dying out?

Post by William Safl » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

|> > Agreed on both counts. Nowadays, slirp is simply a better and more
|> > flexible solution if you don't have real slip/ppp account.

In some ways this reminds me of the arguments of Zmodem versus Kermit.  I have
not had success yet getting Slirp to work, and I think it's because I'm going
through a Xyplex terminal server.  Slirp seems to require an 8 bit clean line
(at least for SLIP emulation - PPP can evidently escape out the first 31
control characters, but I haven't gotten that far yet).  Term, on the other
hand will let you escape out all kinds of characters and still work.  Using
term, I have to escape out 5 control characters and 5 characters with ASCII
code greater than 128. I know SLIP via Slirp won't work, and I've yet to see if
PPP will work.  Until then, term works just fine.

William

TERM: is it dying out?

Post by NWOS » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

|> I was on a site being run by...well, idiots, and we didn't have PPP or
|> SLiP. Before we found out about slirp we were using term...and at the
|> time, yes, it was infinately preferable to using a straightin' dial
|> connection. But Term 2.3.5 was, compared to using PPP or Slip, very slow
|> and very unreliable, and much more difficult to set up and maintain. The
|> only thing I really liked about term was being stuff in X...but it's very
|> easy to rewrite some of the simpler X programs for use over PPP and
|> SLIP. It can be nice for remote shells and so forth as well, but again
|> those things can be rewritten for inet sockets. I don't see Term going
|> too far in the future, IMHO. It was nice while it lasted though. :)

I use TERM and I don't yet see any alternatives (for me at least) since
I neither have root access nor the power of persuasion apparently needed
to get my sysadmin to install and maintain SLIP etc.

Incidentally, I was unable to set up SLIrP... perhaps I should try again
after I figure out how to get it to compile on a Sun Sparc-10 running
Solaris-2.4. I modified it and got it to compile but it SIGSEGV'ed when
I ran it.

So far I used termify to get practically all I needed to be TERM-aware
but since I converted to ALL-ELF, termify is no longer an option. I now
recompile my executables adding #include <termnet.h> and -ltermnet at
appropriate places in the c-code, header files or Makefiles as necessary.
So far the following have worked that way:

Emacs-19.29, moxftp, Mosaic,Chimera, sendmail, and a couple of other
utilities I use for my daily job.

If you are interested in a term-aware ELF version (libc-2.5.18,GCC-2.7.2)
version of the above let me know. I also managed to build an ELF version
termify. It works with netscape but I still have to figure out some
apparently harmless error messages.

Rgds
Gus

--
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
 Gus O. Nwosu

TERM: is it dying out?

Post by Peter Da » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: So far I used termify to get practically all I needed to be TERM-aware
: but since I converted to ALL-ELF, termify is no longer an option. I now
: recompile my executables adding #include <termnet.h> and -ltermnet at
: appropriate places in the c-code, header files or Makefiles as necessary.
: So far the following have worked that way:

...with ELF it's even easier to make binary programs term-aware
than : just make the runtime linker load an appropriate library via
"LD_PRELOAD". If your're interested, take a look at the
"termwrap" stuff in the term distributions. The Readmes say it's
for Solaris only, but its trivial to adjust it for a linux ELF
system.

Regards
                     Peter

  | http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~gator   _|||||_      691 46 35 |

  |---------------------------------- ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------|

1. PC-NFS, printing, bannerpage. die.die.die

Hi, can someone tell me how I get rid of the accursed banner
page under 2.3 & PC-NFS.  Why is this bannerpage a default
in the first place?

Thanks in advance, -P.

--

Zoologiska Institutionen   | obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither
Stockholms Universitet     | liberty or safety. - Benjamin Franklin

2. funny error in syslog

3. Zombie die die die

4. accesing parallel port in C (Linux)

5. /ethan die,die,die

6. Event Processing

7. Again: How do I know I am running a term on X?

8. HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR, now you see it, now...

9. How do I know I am running a term on X?

10. What am I doing wrong...compileing term on a Sun4

11. Term 119 and Die Out

12. Xmosaic (for term) dying....

13. It`s IMPORTANT!!!