Making custom boot floppies without a floppy.

Making custom boot floppies without a floppy.

Post by J. E. Garrott S » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 11:07:14

Assume I have a laptop computer without a floppy
drive ( I don't, but assume it anyway :).

I want to create a custom boot cdrom.  This
seems to require that I have a floppy drive
to create the (lilo)  boot section for the cd.

Is there software, or a procedure, available
that will allow this without the actual floppy
drive?

Thanks in Advance,

John

Making custom boot floppies without a floppy.

Post by Mike McDona » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 13:04:41

Quote:> Assume I have a laptop computer without a floppy
> drive ( I don't, but assume it anyway :).

> I want to create a custom boot cdrom.  This
> seems to require that I have a floppy drive
> to create the (lilo)  boot section for the cd.

> Is there software, or a procedure, available
> that will allow this without the actual floppy
> drive?

> Thanks in Advance,

> John

  I use this script:

------------------------------
#! /bin/bash

#set -e

if [ $# -ne 2 ]; then
    echo 'usage: mk-boot-floppy <kernel> <root>'
    exit -1
fi

kernel=$1
root=$2

MTOOLSRC=mtools.rc.$$; export MTOOLSRC

cat > $MTOOLSRC <<EOF
drive g: file="boot.img" 1.44m mformat_only
EOF

[ -f boot.img ] && rm -f boot.img
dd if=/dev/zero of=boot.img bs=1024 count=1440

mformat -l "CoolCS boot" g:

/usr/coolcs/bin/syslinux-1.52/syslinux boot.img

cp $kernel linux.$$
rdev linux.$$ $root
mcopy linux.$$ g:vmlinux
rm linux.$$

cat > syslinux.cfg.$$ <<EOF

prompt 1
timeout 50

label linux
        kernel vmlinux

EOF

mcopy syslinux.cfg.$$ g:syslinux.cfg
rm syslinux.cfg.$$

mdir g:

rm $MTOOLSRC
------------------------------------

  Mike McDonald

Post by Josef Moeller » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 15:55:25

Quote:

> Assume I have a laptop computer without a floppy
> drive ( I don't, but assume it anyway :).

> I want to create a custom boot cdrom.  This
> seems to require that I have a floppy drive
> to create the (lilo)  boot section for the cd.

> Is there software, or a procedure, available
> that will allow this without the actual floppy
> drive?

You may want to look at the loop device.
It's used by a number of tools that generate ramdisk images and it can
be used to generate floppy image, too.

--
Josef M?llers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
                                                -- T.  Pratchett

1. Making a custom boot floppy

Is there a way to create my own boot floppy to install from, the atapi.flp
won't detect my ATAPI CDROM but i have compiled a kernel that will, i want
to make a setup disk so that i can setup off the CDROM in future...

Thanks

|      Computer Science, Memorial University  |

2. Can you use a keyboard with a trackball built in?

3. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy

4. Building a Video Card Driver

5. IP-Masquerading with OVID client, TCP on port 210.

6. setup, pkgtool, mc conflict with X

7. Making a bootable Linux floppy with root on the floppy

8. Q: How to read 3.5'' floppies without floppy drive ?

9. Making Boot floppy to boot in single

10. booting without the help of boot floppy

11. Remote booting over a network without a boot floppy