Need to find info on the 'FIND' command

Post by Kyron K Modest » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I started taking an Operating System class at school and our first
assignment is to find specific files on a file system, I just got a copy
of Linux and found that it had a find command that enables you to find
files. I would like to know where and how can I uptain the code for this
file?

I tried using the 'find' command to find the code for the program but it
only found the readme file that goes with it. any help would be greatly
appricated.

Post by mitc » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I started taking an Operating System class at school and our first
> assignment is to find specific files on a file system, I just got a copy
> of Linux and found that it had a find command that enables you to find
> files. I would like to know where and how can I uptain the code for this
> file?

> I tried using the 'find' command to find the code for the program but it
> only found the readme file that goes with it. any help would be greatly
> appricated.

Any of the gnu archives will have the findutils package
You can try here:
ftp://uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/gnu/

or go to www.gnu.org for a list of other mirrors.

-Mitch

Post by Matthew D All » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>I started taking an Operating System class at school and our first
>assignment is to find specific files on a file system, I just got a copy
>of Linux and found that it had a find command that enables you to find
>files. I would like to know where and how can I uptain the code for this
>file?
>I tried using the 'find' command to find the code for the program but it
>only found the readme file that goes with it. any help would be greatly
>appricated.

Try typing find /* -name name_of_file.blah
it will take a while but it should dragnet the sum*

--
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Isabelle stared down into her bowl of Alphabet Soup.  Will I ever find

1. Piping results of a 'find' command to a 'mv' command...

Is there a way to do the following without scripting:

Pipe the contents of a 'find' command to a 'mv' command, so that the
results of 'find', example:

find / -iname '*simpsons*' 2>>/dev/null

/home/shawn/downloads/simpsons1.mpg
/home/shawn/simpsons/Halloween Special IX.mpg
/home/shawn/unsorted/simpsons02.mpg

are all moved to a folder of my choosing:

Something like:
find / -iname '*simpsons*' 2>>/dev/null | mv /home/shawn/tv/simpsons

Can anyone help?  If scripting is required, I don't mind, but I
thought that if there was an easy way, I'd like to use it.

If scripting is required, is there an easy way to do it just by
creating a script containing a list of commands and running it after
chmod +x?  Or would I have to do something with Perl in order to loop
through the results of the 'find'?

I know a little Perl, but if there is some other type of scripting
preferred for this type of thing, please tell me the name of it and
where I might find a little documentation.

Thank you for any help you can give.  And please, even if the answer
can be derived from a particular command, do not simply type 'man
commandName'.  A little description/advice would be very nice.

Shawn

2. CL Graphics Viewer for FreeBSD?

3. Need to find vi command to remove ^H from command man find > find.txt

4. cpufreq: correct initialization on PIII Coppermines

5. Usind 'find' command to find certain text within a file

7. 'Find' 'Updatedb' or find database replacement for Solaris 2.X?

8. autofs and automount fails

9. 'sh': Finding out whether I need to provide a complete path to a command

10. Need help with 'find' command

11. usage of 'foreach' and 'find' commands

12. isn't there a command to find so files other than find?

13. can't find command "info" in ver 4.3.2