gcc -pg / gprof trouble (under Redhat for SPARC)

gcc -pg / gprof trouble (under Redhat for SPARC)

Post by Daniel Barke » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

gcc -pg, "Generate extra code to write profile information suitable for
the analysis program `gprof'" (Info), gives trouble. After compiling and
linking with gcc -ansi -pg -Wall, I get a run-time fatal memory error:

% ./a.out
No space for profiling buffer(s)
[then some minutes later ...]
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

and I am left with an empty gmon.out file.

According to gdb, the crash is in _mcleanup(), which is not one of my own
functions. There is no seg. fault when the program is compiled in the same
way but without -pg. There is 4 G of disk space and free memory of 60 M
RAM + 50 M swap (including buffers and cached), and the shell limits are

% limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        unlimited
stacksize       8192 kbytes
coredumpsize    1000000 kbytes
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     256
memorylocked    unlimited
maxproc         256

I have just tried compiling and linking with -p instead of -pg, but I get
the same "No space for profiling buffer(s)" message, and a dump of core
when in _mcleanup ()again when I CTRL-c.

I would be grateful for any advice on how to work around this. Also, if
anyone knows about other profilers, especially pc-sampling profilers,
please let me know. I could cobble something together with profil() plus
gcc -a, but I assume someone has been there before me.

Thank you.

Daniel Barker,
Biocomputing Research Unit,
Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology,
Swann Building,
King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road,
Edinburgh
EH9 3JR
UK

1. vim pg up/ pg down

Does anyone know how to make the pg up and pg down keys work with vim.
They work with elvis.  I tried to read the man page, but it wasn't
included with my slackware dist.  Is there a .vimrc config file in which
I can map pg up and pg down to <ctrl>F and <Ctrl>B?  I don't want to use
something like kbd package b/c I only want it for this application, not
all of X.  Any help is greatly appreciated
        TIA, Broc
--
                                                --------------------
                                                    Broc Stirton

                                                --------------------

2. is kermit faster than ppp?

3. PG-UP / PG-DOWN in mc

4. ASUS SP97-V with SiS 5598 Chipset

5. Missing files for compiling with -p & -pg option for gcc solaris x86

6. HELP - IBM rs6k Ultra scsi config

7. GCC 2.7.0 with -pg option

8. sendmail rule for all of domain

9. gcc -pg compiler switch

10. gcc 2.9.5 anf 6.0 redhat (sparc)

11. Bug warning: compiling with GCC on Redhat 4.2 for SPARC

12. sparc redhat linux 6.2 - sound trouble

13. RedHat & Sparc IPX install troubles