Text based colorizing editor for C

Post by Bill Hindma » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Text based colorizing editor for C

Post by David M. Co » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
>developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Try JED.

Dave Cook

Post by Edwin Li » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
>developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The latest versions of VIM (Vi IMproved) and Nedit (MS-ish) both has
syntax coloring.  Also, for color-syntax printing, if you have a color
printer, try the latest version of a2ps, which will convert many
text/source format to postscript automatically.  If you don't have a
color printer, it will use italics and bold face.  Pretty cool.

Cheers,
e.
Edwin _Lim_ Aun Whei  | Two roads diverge in the woods and I --

Post by Bruce Stephen » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

> I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
> developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are there many editors that *don't* support this now?  I use XEmacs,
but there are dozens which will do just as well.  Look in
<URL:http://freshmeat.net> for a (possibly incomplete) list of
editors.

As somebody else commented, recent versions of a2ps are very good for
pretty-printing (and pretty-displaying).

Post by to » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

 BH> I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
 BH> developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
wpe is my favorite, but there are probably 76 valid alternatives out there.

Text based colorizing editor for C

Post by J.H.M. Dass » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

[Note: Followup-To set]

>I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
>developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"VI iMproved" (http://www.vim.org).

Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may

Post by kai-mart » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>> I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
>> developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I prefer nedit (Version 5.0)

                ---<(kmk)>---

Post by Ross Johnso » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >> I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
> >> developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> I prefer nedit (Version 5.0)

For small projects (less than 50,000 lines of code) there is the free
version of Cygnus's Source Navigator (www.cygnus.com). You get a very nice
coding environment which includes a colourising editor for several
languages.

+----------------------+---+

| Info Sciences and Eng|___|
| University of Canberra   | FAX:    +61 6 2015227
| PO Box 1                 |
| Belconnen  ACT    2616   | WWW:    http://willow.canberra.edu.au/~rpj/
| AUSTRALIA                |
+--------------------------+

Post by Jochen K"upp » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

BH> I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
BH> developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

XEmacs

-- Jochen
  Jochen K"upper

  Institut f"ur Physikalische Chemie I
  Universit"atsstr. 1, Geb 26.43 Raum 02.29    phone ++49-211-8113681
  40225 D"usseldorf                            fax   ++49-211-8115195
  Germany             http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~jochen

Post by Erwin S. Andreas » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

>I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
>developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have not seen fte recommended yet - you can get it from:

http://ixtas.fri.uni-lj.si/~markom/fte/

It can colorize anything easily (templates for e.g. perl or shellscripts are
included as well), it has good autoindent (e.g. make { switch to a new line
if you like that style or quickly indent current function with a keypress).

It runs on a virtual console as well as under X under Linux, and under a
couple of other operating systems as well (OS/2, Windoze, DOS).

Multiple windows, nice object-orientated configuration (for example, I have
defined a yacc/lex editor mode which derives from the 'C' mode - I want the
syntax highlighting. However, I chose to not have autoindent - this was done
without having to retype the configuration of the 'C' mode).

It also allows use of shift-arrowkeys under the virtual console, for block
selection - very useful if you have spent the first half of your life in
Borland's IDE :)

Only downside, however, is that it cannot run via telnet - it must use
either a virtual console locally on the machine it runs on, or X. OTOH using
a virtual console makes for very fast screen updates :)

<URL:http://www.abandoned.org/drylock/>     <*>         (not speaking for) DDE

Post by Conrad Sanders » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

>I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
>developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nedit 5.02:  ftp://ftp.fnal.gov/pub/nedit/

or grab the .rpm from RedHat's Powertools or contrib section

Post by Daniel McNult » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

 >I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
 >developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

 Nedit 5.02:  ftp://ftp.fnal.gov/pub/nedit/

 or grab the .rpm from RedHat's Powertools or contrib section

Text-based means non-GUI, right?  Or does that mean text editor as
opposed to a word processor?

Oh well, Nedit (http://www-pat.fnal.gov/nirvana/nedit.html) is a really
good Xwindows editor, and FTE is a good non-X editor (by Marko Macek,
who also does the very excellent ICE Window Manager).  Also look at
RHIDE and wpe.

Can't give you URLs for these, but they are by no means obscure, and so
shouldn't be hard to find.

-- Daniel McNulty

Text based colorizing editor for C

Post by Arthur Corli » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 28 May 98 15:18:12 -0500, Daniel McNulty

>Text-based means non-GUI, right?  Or does that mean text editor as
>opposed to a word processor?

>Oh well, Nedit (http://www-pat.fnal.gov/nirvana/nedit.html) is a really
>good Xwindows editor, and FTE is a good non-X editor (by Marko Macek,
>who also does the very excellent ICE Window Manager).  Also look at
>RHIDE and wpe.

>Can't give you URLs for these, but they are by no means obscure, and so
>shouldn't be hard to find.

>-- Daniel McNulty

Don't forget Vim, which has colour syntax highlighting for just about every
language out there.

        --Arthur Corliss
          "Live Free or Die--the Only Way to Live" (NH State Motto)

Post by Rauli Ruohone » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
> developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

xemacs.. Yes, it works in text mode. The easiest way to get the
color option turned on is to run it in X, turn the option on from the
Options menu, save and then use it happily ever after ;)

--
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Post by Morga » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > I am looking for a text based colorizing editor for C/C++ for use in
> > developing code under Linux. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> xemacs.. Yes, it works in text mode. The easiest way to get the
> color option turned on is to run it in X, turn the option on from the
> Options menu, save and then use it happily ever after ;)

How about elvis? It's supposed to have syntax highlighting, no? Emacs is
too bloated for my personal taste and JED's highlighting isn't very good
especially with multi-line comments. RHIDE also has very customizable
color, but it's too DOSsy for me.
Quote:> --