Calling TkMan connaisseurs: please examine v2.0

Calling TkMan connaisseurs: please examine v2.0

Post by Tom Phel » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I'd like to release TkMan 2.0 (now licensed free for any use) soon
after the imminent release Tcl/Tk 8.0 final.  As reflected by the only
major version change TkMan's four years of existence, this version has
significant new features.  Some features require more involved
installation, and the potential for interference across features and
flavors of UNIX is greater.  I would be grateful if you would try the
final beta version, 2.0b6 (itself quite different from b5), and report
any problems, both errors and any slow operations (everything is
reasonably quick on my Sparc Ultra), but especially any usability
issues for the general user with the new user interface.  Thanks!

The FINAL BETA TEST version of major new version of TkMan, a graphical,
hypertext manual page browser, is now available for anonymous ftp at
<URL:ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/ucb/people/phelps/tcltk/tkman.tar.Z>
You also need the latest PolyglotMan (nee RosettaMan), a manual page filter:
<URL:ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/ucb/people/phelps/tcltk/rman.tar.Z>
TkMan also requires Tcl/Tk 8.0, which are available on ftp.smli.com in
 the /pub/tcl directory, and a patch, included with TkMan, for
"invisible text".

Among the NEW features in fast and funky version 2.0 are:
* Outlining user interface, with NoteMarks (optional)
* high quality GNU Texinfo file reader (optional)
* Show page version differences, if RCS archive exists
* Database kept in memory.  Startup takes about EIGHT SECONDS;
  searches and volume displays are faster.
  Users of previous versions can delete the ~/.tkmandatabase* file.
* Man page name completion
* Highlights follow man page as file moved/update with new release of software
  Optionally, highlights can remain visible in otherwise collapsed outlines
  to serve as "in-place bookmarks"
* Helper script "retkman" that can be used to restart TkMan after
  changes to the MANPATH in a shell, either manually or as a side effect
  of a modules management system.
* Takes advantage of Tcl/Tk 8.0
* New software license that makes it free for any use
--

1. Examining the calling stack in C

In Solaris 2.x, a signal handler is passed a pointer to a ucontext_t(5)
structure which includes the stack of the thread where the signal was
received.  This should be sufficient to "walk" up the stack and
examine each frame to find out which functions were called.

Is there a simple way of doing this walk when we only care to know which of
N known functions of the program have been called?

--
Nicolas Rouquette                      Artificial Intelligence Group

Phone: (818) 306-6196                  4800 Oak Grove Dr.
  Fax: (818) 306-6912                  Pasadena, CA 91109

2. Need help

3. Can I examine the PCs stored on the call stack?

4. After I added 4 Mbytes, X11 slowed down!!!!

5. Solaris v2.5.1 x86 system calls

6. ReiserFS data corruption in very simple configuration

7. installing Linux v2.0, problems with make (call for help)

8. Orinoco_cs or wvlan_cs driver with ARPHRD_IEEE80211 linktype

9. v2.4.1-v2.4.3pre2 doesnt power off by halt or shutdown -h

10. SCO Foxbase+ v2.1.1 To v2.1.2

11. IO Overflow via putc() in GCC v2.6.3, Slackware v2.x Linux v1.2.11

12. Problems with v2.1.30-v2.1.34

13. Q: gcc v2.8.0 on solaris v2.5.1