Advice: GUI Programming, Java, Tcl, Perl, C, etc

Advice: GUI Programming, Java, Tcl, Perl, C, etc

Post by Russ Gritz » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

Folks:

At the risk of starting a big fight, I would like to get some advice to
help me make a sensible choice for GUI Programming.

I need to start developing more GUI apps, and cross-platform support is
a must, mostly Win95 and Unix/X, while Mac would be a plus but not
essential. Browser execution (like Tcl/Tk plugin) is a real plus. I am
in a bit of a quandry, with all the choices available, but I really only
have time and energy to learn one new language, and would like it to be
useful for many years to come.  Some very brief thoughts:

Java - new and hot, changing rapidly, seems a bit complex.

PERL - some nice features, PERL/Tk looks doable, Would be useful for
non-gui apps as well.

Tcl/Tk - same thinking as PERL, questions about longevity.

C with Toolkits - probably the least attractive due to complexity and
reliance on specific toolkits, but I have lots of C experience.

Others - ???

For you who develop GUI apps regularly, how about some sage advice?
Thanks in advance.

R.

Advice: GUI Programming, Java, Tcl, Perl, C, etc

Post by John Mark Clayt » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I need to start developing more GUI apps, and cross-platform support is
> a must, mostly Win95 and Unix/X, while Mac would be a plus but not
> essential. Browser execution (like Tcl/Tk plugin) is a real plus. I am
> in a bit of a quandry, with all the choices available, but I really only
> have time and energy to learn one new language, and would like it to be
> useful for many years to come.  Some very brief thoughts:

> C with Toolkits - probably the least attractive due to complexity and
> reliance on specific toolkits, but I have lots of C experience.

I invit you to take a look at Nombas' web site (yes I do work for Nombas).
We have a suite of script interpreters.  One of which is a CGI interpreter.
The interpreters are cross-platform, Windows, unix, mac and even OS/2.  The
script language was originally modeled after C so you can use all your C
experience in developing with it.  The interpeters include, built-in, the
full C standard library.  The language has grown a little to encompass
JavaScript, so there is also a bright future for it's use.  (Nombas is
one of the original companies on the committee to standardize JavaScript.)
In adition to the CGI (server side) interpreter we offer a Netscape
plugin and an IE activeX control that interpretes the same language.
Currently the plugins are only available for Windows (16 & 32 bits) but
Unix, Mac and OS/2 are in the works.  FWIW, we also offer 2 versions of
a shell interpreter, one is a character mode and the other a gui.  Last,
but not least we have an SDK that lets someone embed the interpreter into
their application.  Our web site is http://www.nombas.com . If you have
any questions or comments, please email me at this address or call
Nombas.  BTW, I'm an engineer that loves this product, not a sale preson.
Thanks for your time,
Mark Clayton
--

Nombas http://www.nombas.com/toolkit ScriptEase:Integration SDK Development

Post by Neil Schemenau » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

>Folks:
>I need to start developing more GUI apps, and cross-platform support is
>a must, mostly Win95 and Unix/X, while Mac would be a plus but not
>essential. Browser execution (like Tcl/Tk plugin) is a real plus. I am
>in a bit of a quandry, with all the choices available, but I really only
>have time and energy to learn one new language, and would like it to be
>useful for many years to come.

I would go for Python.  Easy to learn.  Runs on Unix,
Windows, and Mac (no Tk for Mac as far as I know though).
The is a browser (Grail) that has a python interpeter
built-in.  Also, I believe there is a plug-in for Netscape.
Check out:

        http://www.python.org/

Post by Phil Ro » Sun, 11 May 1997 04:00:00

>Windows, and Mac (no Tk for Mac as far as I know though).

FWIW:
        Last summer I began working for the computer support department in
my university.  After my interview, they hired me on the spot and I went
to one of their consulting places to check the place out.  There was a guy
there needing help compiling TCL and Tk on our UNIX systems.  He told me
that he was the head of some kind of artificial intelligence project team
and that they had chosen TCL and Tk because there was a Mac version.  He
said the Mac version was in beta but it was usable.

                                                        -Phil

Advice: GUI Programming, Java, Tcl, Perl, C, etc

Post by Smiljan Grme » Mon, 12 May 1997 04:00:00

Well, it is the same old problem. There are lovely low-level tools like
Qt and Amulet (check them out!) but really taking all into account (and
I tried Python, wxWin, and some esoterica) the Tcl/Tk stands out because
of: (in no particular order of importance - assign your own)

- it is, was and will be totally free,
- there is a large user base
- for almost anything I required somebody has written an extension
  which was quite useable
- web support
- visual development (vtcl program)
- clean C interface providing extensibility
- reliable provider (things are even better now with Sun)
- event driven programming
- monitored variables
- fair readability
- extremely high Win/X compatibility (you know, fonts, measure units
  native look etc)

The most recent version (8.0) is a bytecode interpreter which brings Tcl
up to
Python speed.

The opinion is personal but researched.

Smiljan

Post by Grant Edwar » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

: >I need to start developing more GUI apps, and cross-platform support is a
: >must, mostly Win95 and Unix/X, while Mac would be a plus but not
: >essential. Browser execution (like Tcl/Tk plugin) is a real plus. I am in
: >a bit of a quandry, with all the choices available, but I really only have
: >time and energy to learn one new language, and would like it to be useful
: >for many years to come.

: I would go for Python.  Easy to learn.  Runs on Unix,
: Windows, and Mac (no Tk for Mac as far as I know though).

I haven't tried Python, but I'm pretty fond of STk -- a scheme interpreter
linked w/ the Tk toolkit (There's also Grail: a Gnu project that sounds like
pretty much the same concept).

You can also get Perl5 with Tk support. I have tried Perl (it wasn't 5, it
was many years ago) and though I did get the program to work, I never really
understood why...

Tcl makes my head hurt.

--
Grant Edwards        | Microsoft isn't the   | Yow!  Look DEEP into the
Rosemount Inc.       | answer. Microsoft     | OPENINGS!!  Do you see any

Post by Peter Mutsaer » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

>> Spalinski) said:

    MS>    At the risk of starting a big fight, I would like to get
    MS>    some advice to help me make a sensible choice for GUI
    MS>    Programming.

    MS>    I need to start developing more GUI apps, and
    MS>    cross-platform support is a must, mostly Win95 and Unix/X,
    MS>    while Mac would be a plus but not essential. Browser
    MS>    execution (like Tcl/Tk plugin) is a real plus. I am in a
    MS>    bit of a quandry, with all the choices available, but I
    MS>    really only have time and energy to learn one new language,
    MS>    and would like it to be useful for many years to come.

    MS> My advice: Python (http://www.python.org).

These days Java and it's AWT seem a logical and safe bet. You can get
the JDK 1.1.1 for Solaris, Win32 and Linux now and it will run on many
platforms, even on NC's when they arrive.

--
Peter Mutsaers      Lucent Technologies, Network Systems

Advice: GUI Programming, Java, Tcl, Perl, C, etc

Post by Gernot Baue » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> Java - new and hot, changing rapidly, seems a bit complex.

> PERL - some nice features, PERL/Tk looks doable, Would be useful for
> non-gui apps as well.

> Tcl/Tk - same thinking as PERL, questions about longevity.

> C with Toolkits - probably the least attractive due to complexity and
> reliance on specific toolkits, but I have lots of C experience.

> Others - ???

> For you who develop GUI apps regularly, how about some sage advice?
> Thanks in advance.

I would use Tcl/Tk. Its easy to learn, you get great results, its free
and it works on Unix/Win95 and Mac.

A big bonus is that you can easily experiment with your GUIs and do
user-tests (is this still happening ;)

Gernot
--
--------------------------------------
Gernot Bauer

Post by Michael Spalins » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

   At the risk of starting a big fight, I would like to get some advice to
   help me make a sensible choice for GUI Programming.

   I need to start developing more GUI apps, and cross-platform support is
   a must, mostly Win95 and Unix/X, while Mac would be a plus but not
   essential. Browser execution (like Tcl/Tk plugin) is a real plus. I am
   in a bit of a quandry, with all the choices available, but I really only
   have time and energy to learn one new language, and would like it to be
   useful for many years to come.

My advice: Python (http://www.python.org).
M.

1. Toronto: Senior Java GUI Architect (up to 90K+options): Java w/GUI emphasis, OOA/OOD, Swing

This position involves writing commercial Internet shopping software
(and components) for resale (ecommerce) for a new 'dot com' software
startup which will soon apply to be traded on NASDAQ. A Smalltalk, Perl,
HTML, and OODB application server will be rewritten using a new
architecture. Existing Smalltalk GUI screens will need to be rewritten
as Java applets. New domain object edit GUIs will need to be designed
and developed, as well as other product enhancements. Significant new
enhancements will be analyzed, designed and developed. Many follow up
R&D projects and products are in the works, including those involving
intelligent agents. The ideal candidate will have:

   * at least 2 years Java experience (Smalltalk experience a bonus)
     with an emphasis in GUI work including Swing experience, and an
     understanding of Human Factors
   * at least 5 years of software development experience, preferably
     with a software vendor and/or a consulting company using OOA/OOD
     methodology
   * HTML/CGI experience, Perl a bonus
   * bachelor degree in Computing or equivalent

This Internet startup is well funded to turn an already working
prototype into a commercial product to humanize the Internet shopping
experience. Get in on the ground floor of this Internet startup and join
a team of very experienced software professionals. Our corporate culture
is centered on providing a fun workplace where engineers can grow both
technically and financially. Good salary plus excellent stock options
will enable the successful candidate to receive total compensation above
Toronto norms. Principals only submit resumes to

recruiter.)

2. looking for CAD-like program

3. Toronto: Senior Java GUI Eng. (up to 90K+options): Java w/GUI emphasis, OOA/OOD, Swing

4. konqueror and sftp?

5. tcl/tk or Java for GUI??

6. TASD Sound driver under Kernel 1.3.78

7. nawk, perl, tcl/tk, etc w/ diff. unices

8. 3Com 3C509B

9. ANNOUNCE: Linux New Media Architecture (JAVA/TCL/GROW/WWW/ETC)

10. desing GUI for Linux C++ program using TCL/TK

11. Announce: Http Server Programming with Persistent Perl and Tcl

12. Advice on Java, Perl, PHP on FreeBSD