Untar a file

Post by Venka » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:11:00

Hi,

It looks an obvious question but i need this urgently as i don't hv the time
to actually
go through the help and find it out.

I have a file say xyz.tar, now i want to untar it(extract the files) how do
i go about it
in linux(i guess the process is same in any flavors of unix).

Pls let me know the process.

Thanks
Venkat

Untar a file

Post by Josef M?ller » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:24:03

> Hi,

> It looks an obvious question but i need this urgently as i don't hv the time
> to actually
> go through the help and find it out.

My goodness you must be in a real hurry to actually post this and wait
for an answer rather than type "man tar".

--
Josef M?llers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
                                                -- T.  Pratchett

Untar a file

Post by Venka » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:28:19

Josef,

I started using this group from a week now, and see the response time is
really quick this made me to post the query.
I do agree one can get good information in manual pages.

Regards
Venkat

Post by Josef M?ller » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:13:44

> Josef,

> I started using this group from a week now, and see the response time is
> really quick this made me to post the query.
> I do agree one can get good information in manual pages.

> My goodness you must be in a real hurry to actually post this and wait
> for an answer rather than type "man tar".

Typing "man tar" and reading the manual page beats the hell out of:
opening the news reader, selecting colda, hitting "new article" (or
something), typing more than 8 characters of text, hitting the "post"
button (or whatever), waiting for the message to reach half the earth's
population (slightly exaggerating here B-{), waiting for the people to
read and comprehend your message, waiting for people to hit "reply to
newsgroup" (or whatever), waiting for people to write a response,
waiting for poeple to hit the "post" button (or whatever). waiting for
the response to trickle back to your news server, waiting for your news
reader to recognize that there's an answer, finding the answer, reading
the answer, and then ... typing "man tar" and reading the manual page.

I should have added the question "What did you do to find out _before_
asking half the world for help"? Apparently nothing, because typing "man
tar" is the most elementary first step when having problems with a tool
on linux. Even "info tar", while one character longer, might be a valid
first try and would have produces another chunk of information (if the
info pages are installed on your system).

If, after reading the manual page(s), you have further questions, like
"the manual page says this and that and I don't quite know which option
is best suited for my task", _then_ you may turn to the world for help.

As for the time saved by not typing "man tar" in the first place, try to
consider how much aggregate time, net bandwith and storage space is
wasted by your lazyness.

Oh yes, BTW, don't top-post.

In a bad mood today,
--
Josef M?llers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
                                                -- T.  Pratchett

Untar a file

Post by Venka » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:56:07

Hi Josef,

Infact i searched the man pages and was not able to get which option to use
coz whatever options i tried was not fetching the expected result, thats the
reason that i went ahead and posted this query in this group.

I may be new in using this newsgroup but i am not new to using newsgroup as
such.

When i post anything in a newsgroup i will try my best to tackle the problem
on my own
and when i see its taking a lot of time than only i will escalate the matter
in the group.

BTW i got the answer for my query not through the group but through google.

if we need to untar a file we use the option -xvf

tar xvf file1.tar

Anyways thanks for all the help.

Regards
Venkat

Post by Josef M?ller » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:21:50

> Hi Josef,

> Infact i searched the man pages and was not able to get which option to use
> coz whatever options i tried was not fetching the expected result, thats the
> reason that i went ahead and posted this query in this group.

> I may be new in using this newsgroup but i am not new to using newsgroup as
> such.

> When i post anything in a newsgroup i will try my best to tackle the problem
> on my own
> and when i see its taking a lot of time than only i will escalate the matter
> in the group.

Then excuse my harsh words and take the advice to state what you have
done so far to sort out your problems. It does make a difference.
To my excuse I would like to quote your original article: "i don't hv
the time
to actually go through the help and find it out."

BTW Don't top-post (see http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/).

Josef (posted and mailed)
--

Post by Tom Felke » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:44:58

> Hi,

> It looks an obvious question but i need this urgently as i don't hv the time
> to actually
> go through the help and find it out.

> I have a file say xyz.tar, now i want to untar it(extract the files) how do
> i go about it
> in linux(i guess the process is same in any flavors of unix).

> Pls let me know the process.

> Thanks
> Venkat

tar xf xyz.tar

1. How to gunzip and untar a large file

Help!, I just got gcc via ftp. The file is a tar.gz, I got it via slip to my
PC then tried to get it on the unix machine (no the unix machine is not on
the net... company security etc..), but the file is about 6meg in size. The
unix (IBM AIX 2.2.1) only allows for a 4meg file. Therefore I can't even
transfer the file over as it aborts after the first 4meg. I think I can
probably gunzip it on the DOS machine but that still leaves me with a bigger
file as a tar.

How do I get this monster file unziped and untared and on to the unix
machine? Am I correct about a gunzip for DOS? If so how about a tar util for
DOS, and where would I find these utils?

Thanks,

Bernie

2. Round-Robin on DNS server

3. how can I untar a file?

4. Text manipulation using shell script

5. Untar a file with bsolute paths to a relative location ( HELP PLEASE)

6. NetBSD 1.2 Mac 68k Pascal Compiler

7. how can I untar a file?

8. Konq hangs on website

9. weird file stats result when I untar

10. Unable to untar .tar files.

11. how can I untar a file?

12. How to untar an absolut tarred file to relative destination?