newbie socket question, please help

Post by Matthias halfman » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi I am trying to experiment with sockets. As a simple test I decieded
to connect to port 25 on my machine. I wrote the code to do the actual
connect and under netstat I see a connection. After I connected i called
a recv to see what sendmail displayed (if I telnet in I see sendmail and
the verions number). But I can't seem to actually secieve the data. recv
always returns 0, and the buf variable is empty. buf is a char [100],
and I pass the correct size of buf to recv. Is there something i have to
do inorder to be able to recieve data from sendmail? Thanks

matt

newbie socket question, please help

Post by richard hankin » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Typically, a client, such as your socket test program, sends a request to a
server.  The server then generates a response that your client receives.
I've never played with port 25, but I'm assuming it is looking for a request
from your client before sending anything.
Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

> Hi I am trying to experiment with sockets. As a simple test I decieded
> to connect to port 25 on my machine. I wrote the code to do the actual
> connect and under netstat I see a connection. After I connected i called
> a recv to see what sendmail displayed (if I telnet in I see sendmail and
> the verions number). But I can't seem to actually secieve the data. recv
> always returns 0, and the buf variable is empty. buf is a char [100],
> and I pass the correct size of buf to recv. Is there something i have to
> do inorder to be able to recieve data from sendmail? Thanks

> matt

1. newbie question please please help

hi,group

this is a reposted question, please help me solve it. thanks!

I am a network novice and seeking some general idea of seting up the
environment of dns server under Linux RH7.2.

some hardware info:  3 computer connected to internet with independent ip
.i.e 3 ips. its purpose is to avoid the problem that if server down
then no one linked with network can use internet. Our computers are still
shared thr lan via Hub. My computer has one ethernet card and installed
with redhat7.2.

I have read DNS HOWTO on linuxdoc.org and found they are all
performed under a network. is it a must ? does my circumstances fit into
it? please don't laught at me as i don't have much knowledge of network. if
not, how can i build such enviorment base on the current hardwares? another
network card ? or virtual ip ? i just could not find related howto online,
could someone points me to..?

also, my isp provids two nameservers and i do not know if i can take
advantage of them in use of my DNS setup?

sorry i have a lot questions and please excuse my english.

any help greatly appreciated!

Qiang

2. Is it me or syscalls?

3. Please, please, please help a newbie.

4. Linux working!

5. Newbie question. Please help!

6. Black Adder...

7. Newbie Question ( Please Help)

8. REQUEST: sun-cmd termcap entry for RS/6000

9. Newbie question: Please help

10. Newbie Questions please help

11. Newbie question about Dell Server RAM and Processor - Please help??

12. a newbie question before installing linux, please help...

13. Newbie Question Please help