Direct video memory acces under X - is it possible?

Direct video memory acces under X - is it possible?

Post by Maciek Mró » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Is it possible to access framebuffer memory in the X Windows system
(actually XFree86) just as in Windows with DirectDraw (or in Linux SVGAlib)?

Post by bowma » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Is it possible to access framebuffer memory in the X Windows system
> (actually XFree86) just as in Windows with DirectDraw (or in Linux SVGAlib)?

http://www.canvaslink.com/allegro/xwinallegro/

This package may let you do what you have in mind. If not, the source
will certainly point you in the right direction.

Post by Sami Tik » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Is it possible to access framebuffer memory in the X Windows system
>(actually XFree86) just as in Windows with DirectDraw (or in Linux SVGAlib)?

It is called the Direct Graphics Access (DGA) extension. It is supported by
the XFree86 servers.

--

"There is no spoon."

1. Direct access to video memory under X

Is it possible to get direct hardware access to the VGA card? Probably I don't
need direct hardware access but rather I need to read and write directly into
the gfx memory. Any ideas how I could achieve this when X is running? I don't
mind when windows are overwritten in the course because they could be
refreshed and I would want to save the content anyway.

--
Gerhard Gruber

Fr jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache L?sung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)

2. RfD: c.o.l.a Frequently Rehashed Topics

3. Direct access to video memory

4. Linux binary editor

5. Direct video memory access under X

6. OPINION: Linux/Java - Signpost for the Future

7. Direct acces to hardware features with XFree?

8. PANIC! Need WordPerfect for SCO!

9. Newbie question xhost server acces, cant remove acces

10. It's possible to share an internet modem acces with Solaris8?

11. If X is directed to a windows box, am I doomed to hell?

12. Make Shared Memory Block Memory-Resident Possible?

13. SiS SG86C201 Video card with Redhat 5.1: Not recognizing Video memory