Word Processors for X ??

Post by Marc E. Christense » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Check out Caldera - they have ported Word Perfect 6.0 for UNIX to Linux as a
native Linux application.  I have no idea on shipping dates.  That information
will be made avaliable on thier web site as it becomes availiable.

        Try    http://www.caldera.com

--
           _/_/_/       Salt Lake Linux Users Group     _/_/_/
          _/_/*/_/_/|    _ http://www.sllug.org __     _/_/*/_/_/|

          Marc Christensen - Director of Public Relations

Word Processors for X ??

Post by Mark Dav » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I am considering moving from the normal DOS/WINDOWS regime and  using a
>Linux system for my work,  but want to know before I do whether there
>are any good Word Processors  (NOT Text Processors  :-)  ) for the X
>Window System.
>Being mainly a Windows user,  I would like to look at what software is
>around before I 'leap'.

WordPerfect for Unix/X is now *officially* available for Linux.  The price
is reasonable, and WordPerfect is cross-platform.

I believe a demo is available on tsx-11.  Be aware it is huge-
  | Mark A. Davis     | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk,VA (804)-461-5001x431 |

Word Processors for X ??

Post by Torben Wei » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I did not like wordperfect for unix. I don't like wordperfect any way.
But if you don't like wordperfect.... there is not much to choose....

Torben

Word Processors for X ??

Post by Colas Nahab » Fri, 13 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:(Kel) writes:

|> I am considering moving from the normal DOS/WINDOWS regime and  using a
|> Linux system for my work,  but want to know before I do whether there
|> are any good Word Processors  (NOT Text Processors  :-)  ) for the X
|> Window System.

For the X window system, framemaker is somewhat the best, but on the
expensive side. The problem is linux availability. frame SCO should run on
linux in the SCO emulation mode with a version not calling the license
manager (I have a beta v3 version which runs perfectly, but current Frame
4 versions hang when calling the license manager from reports I had from
US users). try to contact Framemaker, myself I am stuck, as Frame Europe
doesnt sell SCO versions anymore :-(

If you are French speaking, Opera is making available its great "xgrif"
wordprocessor for free on linux only (other platforms/langages will be at
a price).  see http://hatutu.imag.fr/grif/
xgrif is a sophisticated commercial word processor with heavy bases in
advanced research concepts

--

Word Processors for X ??

Post by David L. Johnso » Tue, 17 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> WordPerfect for Unix/X is now *officially* available for Linux.  The price
> is reasonable, and WordPerfect is cross-platform.

> I believe a demo is available on tsx-11.  Be aware it is huge-

I couldn't find it there.  Could you give a specific pointer?

--

Department of Mathematics               http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html
Lehigh University

Word Processors for X ??

Post by James McInin » Wed, 18 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: Suite des difficults d'ordre juridique, la diffusion de Grif pour
: Linux est temporairement
: suspendue. Ds que ces problemes seront rsolus, nous esprons pouvoir
: reprendre la
: diffusion.

Translation:

"Due to legal difficulties, the distribution of Grif for Linux has been
temporarily suspended. As soon as these difficulties are resolved, we hope to
rerelease the distribution."

: following also from the WWW server:

: La diffusion reprend en interne le 6 septembre 1995 pour les
: utilisateurs de l'INRIA et de
: l'IMAG. Seules les personnes appartenant a l'un de ces deux
: instituts sont autorises charger
: et utiliser le logiciel.
: Aucune diffusion a l'exterieur de ces organismes n'est pour
: l'instant permise.

"The distribution will be restored September 6, 1995, for users at INRIA and
IMAG. Solely persons employed by one of these institutions are authorized to
install and use the program. Any distribution outside these organizations is
currently prohibited."

... more or less.

Word Processors for X ??

Post by Colas Nahab » Thu, 19 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:(James McIninch) writes:

|> "Due to legal difficulties,

well, the legal difficulties are because there are two different
"products".

The grif used at INRIA "xmgif" sold by grif SA. not available on linux.
The free linux one, xgrif, a research project by INRIA project opera.
xmgrif is based on a previous version of xgrif. only available on linux.

I was speaking of xgrif. xmgrif people wants to forbid opera to release
their version. the situation is temporarily being sorted out. I really
think this is only temporary.

--

Word Processors for X ??

Post by habi.. » Fri, 20 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:: (Kel) writes:

[...]

I tried to doanload a copy of the binary for xgrif to no avail.  The
NetScape v2.0 that I used gave me an FTP error (Could not login to FTP
server).  has anybody tried this?

: --

--

Word Processors for X ??

Post by Steven Whatl » Sat, 21 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> I am considering moving from the normal DOS/WINDOWS regime and  using a
> Linux system for my work,  but want to know before I do whether there
> are any good Word Processors  (NOT Text Processors  :-)  ) for the X
> Window System.

At my job site. we run a Windows emulator, WABI, on our HP's.  This allows
us to run MS-Word, Excel, MS-Mail, and other Windows software.  I don't
know about Windows emulators for Linux but this may work for you.

Later,
Steven
                     ___     ____________
Steven Whatley  <<<((__O\   (__<>___<>__ \   ____     Don't get rattled by

Houston, Texas          \O__<>___<>___<>)\___/        my opinion.

Word Processors for X ??

:
: At my job site. we run a Windows emulator, WABI, on our HP's.  This allows
: us to run MS-Word, Excel, MS-Mail, and other Windows software.  I don't
: know about Windows emulators for Linux but this may work for you.
:
WINE is our emulator under Linux...and as if yet MS word loads (after a bit
of waiting on my  8meg machine.=) and then complains about a lack  of
registeration database.

Word Processors for X ??

Try ftp.wordperfect.com or www.wordperfect.com.

--
Michael Matthews

1. TeX as a word processor (was Linux word processor?)

| It's somewhat silly, not completely. In some cases, you just can't do
| the job without TeX. At one firm where I'm doing some consulting work,
| I was approached by the accountant - a Polish lady - about how she can
| obtain the all of the special characters and accents for writing
| letters to family and friends overseas. Microsoft Word doesn't offer a
| satisfactory solution at all, whereas TeX can do everything. Word
| requires that you change the character set (which isn't always big
| enough to hold all the necessary combination), whereas TeX can
| synthesize all kinds of accents and stick them onto any character you
| want. For instance, she requires the cedilla accent (the little
| squiggle that the French use in the word Francais under the 'c') to be
| used with a whole bunch of capital letters, such as E. In TeX, you
| just type "\c E", and there it is.

Sorry to intervene in a possibly unmentionable way, but WordPerfect
allows a lot of scope in this respect (having not only the cedilla
but also the true ogonek or "Polish Hook", and many other diacritics).
There are various ways to combine an accent with a character. You can
either do this by key-strokes for occasional use, or write a macro
(which could be stored as a "Keyboard macro" if you decided, for instance,
to set up a special Polish keybaoard). Plus, you have about a 50 percent
chance to see your composed character on the screen.

If it's a choice between Word and TeX for this kind of thing, I would
choose WordPerfect (if you'll pardon the logic).

However, if it's a choice between WordPerfect and TeX, I'd choose troff
(if you know your way round the ms macros, you can set up anything your
printer can print). You could type Kazimir's example as \(,E for example,
once you had defined ",E" as a character object.

Don't ask me about Word.

2. Now I'm in trouble with XFee again!

3. second occurence

4. Which Linux word processor should I try that I can compare to MS Word

5. Search for setuid and setguid

6. Which Linux Word Processor has Best MS Word Emulation?

7. PSSP 2.3 sysctl reference?

8. word processor and a fax ???

9. Want to write a word processor ?

10. FOUND: a decent Word Processor for Linux

11. Word Processors for Linux

12. Help me before I buy DOS to get a word processor!