No real MP3 players for Linux???

Post by Phil Ro » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hello...

        I can't believe that not one person has taken it upon themselves
to write an MP3 player for Linux.  We have the encoder and decoder, but
there are no players???  Well, I did find one player which makes a nice
attempt to use pipes and redirection to decode the mp3 into the wavplay
program but it's incompatible with a lot of the MP3's I've been trying to
play :(

        If someone knows of a player that I havent found or if someone
wouldn't mind sending me lots of documentation on Layer 3
compression/decompression so i can write one myself could you please Email

                                                        Thanks,
                                                        Phil

No real MP3 players for Linux???

Post by Highb » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: Hello...
:
[...]

Mark Duguid

Post by James Ya » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>:   I can't believe that not one person has taken it upon themselves
>: to write an MP3 player for Linux.  We have the encoder and decoder, but
>: there are no players???  Well, I did find one player which makes a nice
>: attempt to use pipes and redirection to decode the mp3 into the wavplay
>: program but it's incompatible with a lot of the MP3's I've been trying to
>: play :(
>:
>:
>:   If someone knows of a player that I havent found or if someone
>: wouldn't mind sending me lots of documentation on Layer 3
>: compression/decompression so i can write one myself could you please Email

Have you found FG-IIS's l3dec?  You can pipe that to vplay -S -s 44100 -b 16.

--

--James

1. Sound, Real Player, and MP3 players

I have gotten sound to work on everything, except Real Player, and the
various MP3 players, that I have unsuccesfully tried to use.  I was
exploring this problem, when I looked at was was in /dev/sndstat  :
Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.0.32 #1 Wed Nov 19 00:46:45 EST
1997 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.16)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

I noticed that there is nothing installed under Midi devices.  Now,
I don't know what these other programs that have worked use, and I don't
know what Real Player, or the MP3 players use, but the only connection
that I can come up with is that the Real Player and the various MP3
players use Midi, and that is why they aren't working.  I used sndconfig
(under Red Hat 5.0) to configer my soundblaster 16 PnP.  I would think
that since it configured everything else, that it would configure Midi,
but it seems like it didn't.   Does anyone one have the Sound Blaster 16
PnP card, and has gotten Real Player, or any MP3 player to work?  If
yes, could you  'cat /dev/sndstat' , and tell me what you came up with,
and if you have any midi installed.  If you did something extra to get
midi to work, could you tell me what you did.  Any advice would help.
Thanks.

Mike

2. Solaris undetached threads and thr_kill()

3. Real Audio and MP3 Player

4. How can I read the harddisk track by track?

5. Sound, Real Player, and MP3

6. Buslogic and PAS16

7. Need mp3 to mpy file converter for RCA Lyra RD1080 mp3 player

8. 8-bit VGA Server for X?

9. MP3 Player 4 MP3 CD's?

10. CD Player and MP3 Player for Solaris 8

11. MP3 Player & VCD Player

12. Real Player vs Windows Media Player

13. mp3 player with Linux support