Tools for converting TrueType or Type 1 fonts to common X font formats

Tools for converting TrueType or Type 1 fonts to common X font formats

Post by Matthias Kalle Dalheime » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

does anyone know if there are tools available (free or commercial) to
convert TrueType or Type 1 fonts into bdf oder pcf fonts so that they
can be used with any X server? I am not talking about special font
servers like the Caldera font server that can _display_ TrueType fonts,
but rather about conversion tools.
Sorry, this question is probably not very Linux-specific, but Linux
users (who often have MS-Windows on their system as well) should run
into this problem more often than for example SUN users who only know
their system fonts.

TIA, Kalle

--
Matthias Kalle Dalheimer
Software Engineer

Post by Rube Goldbe » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

 >Hi,
 >
 >does anyone know if there are tools available (free or commercial) to
 >convert TrueType or Type 1 fonts into bdf oder pcf fonts so that they

                The directory /usr/lib/X11/font has a directory
                labled Type1. I may be mistaken, but I assumed
                those were Type1 fonts. I don't know the format
                of true type fonts, but an occasionally useful
                source of fonts is the program fstobdf, X, an
                ethernet connection, and a friendly Xserver (not
                yours). You can peruse the catalog with fslsinfo,
                or xfontsel by xset fp+ tcp/friendly.fonts.com:7000

--

       "The only way to rid oneself of"
       "temptation is to yield to it"