linux programming books

Post by Andy Baxte » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:59:16

hello,

I'm new to linux programming, and I'd like to learn how to do it. I have
some previous experience writing in C++, Java, Perl, and Visual Basic. (But
only a few small projects in each).
I'm thinking of writing a program to take a bookmark file in xbel format
and use http to check the last-changed date of each bookmark against a file
saved when you last ran the program, so that you can see which sites have
changed and are worth revisiting.
If I was only going to do this bit, I could write it as a command line
utility in perl, which I already pretty much know how to do, but I'd like
to try C++, firstly to get experience writing for linux in a different
language, and secondly because I have some thoughts about how I might
develop this program into a bigger mini-application, and I think a compiled
language might be better for this.

Can anyone recommend any books or web sites that are worth reading about
how to get started on linux programming?

andy baxter.

--

remove ' n - u - l - l ' to email me.

linux programming books

Post by Harald Grossaue » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:14:05

www.advancedlinuxprogramming.com for the beginning, later on the books of
Stevens.

linux programming books

Post by David M. Coo » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:52:51

> Can anyone recommend any books or web sites that are worth reading about
> how to get started on linux programming?

Try a google search on that topic in this group.  You'll find tons of
recommendations.

Dave Cook