Multiple symbol def with static link

Post by Aaron Cod » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm building gdb on linux on when I build it statically, I get a multiple symbol
definition for savestring, between one of gdb's source files and /usr/lib/libreadline.a

I vaguely remember someone saying at one time that it was possible to specify which
symbol is used during linking?  I've searched the web a bit, the HOWTO's, info pages,
and some FAQ's, but I still can't figure out to specify where to get the symbol from.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Aaron

1. Undefined symbols after static link

Sometimes when I build an executable on one system and run it on another,
I get this:

Symbol _fp_fpscrx is undefined
Symbol fp_cpusync is undefined
Error was: Exec format error

I linked it statically.  What could cause something like this ?  A
missing PTF ?

--
Eric W. Sink, Spyglass        | "The stories are true, Peter."
1800 Woodfield Drive          |     - Grandma Wendy

2. StarOffice 5.0, missing libvos506li.so

3. multiple symbol definitons in C++ in link phase

4. Grabbing pid from inside of a C program

5. linking static archive to another static archive

6. xdmcp ?

7. C++ linking problem creating a static lib from another static lib.

8. effecient file insertion

9. Problems linking static library on executable and static library

10. shmem works static-linked, but not dynamic-linked

11. dynamic linking -> static linking == some _smaller_ executables

12. Static linked std libraryes in Dynamic linked libraryes

13. time launching aspect : static link vs dynamic link