Buggy hardware in linux & failed hardware in Win'95

Buggy hardware in linux & failed hardware in Win'95

Post by Xiaoning Wa » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi, I have a Micron 90 Powerstation running linux 1.3.57 & Win 95.

The Win 95 detects a hardware failure:
VLSI PCI to ISA plug and Play Bridge failure.
Recommend: Try changing the driver for this device.

In linux 1.3.57 after pci enabled:
During boot, it detects:
Sound initialization complete
ide: buggy CMD640B interface at pci, (0x80006800)
 ... serialized, enabled read-ahead, secondary interface enabled
Check the source codes, it comments about buggy hardware CMD640 stuff.

So, are those above two thing related ?
I haven't notice any trouble in my using of the computer, so are the problems
serious ?

Thanks !

Xiaoning

Post by roo » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: Hi, I have a Micron 90 Powerstation running linux 1.3.57 & Win 95.

: The Win 95 detects a hardware failure:
: VLSI PCI to ISA plug and Play Bridge failure.
: Recommend: Try changing the driver for this device.

: In linux 1.3.57 after pci enabled:
: During boot, it detects:
: .................................
: Sound initialization complete
: ide: buggy CMD640B interface at pci, (0x80006800)
:  ... serialized, enabled read-ahead, secondary interface enabled
: ...............................
: Check the source codes, it comments about buggy hardware CMD640 stuff.

: So, are those above two thing related ?
: I haven't notice any trouble in my using of the computer, so are the problems
: serious ?
     No, not related.
     CMD640B is worked around by Linux, so it's not serious there; Windoze
doesn't use any of the features that are buggy in a CMD640B, no problem
there.
     Plug and Play bridge?  *shrug*.  I don't know what this thing is really
supposed to be 8-).  Probably it's as it suggests, though, some driver needs
to be changed for PCI plug-n-pray to work.
: Thanks !

: Xiaoning

1. linux plug 'n play/95 hardware compatibility

Is there any plans to make linux support plug 'n play-- i mean of
course if the spec is any good, because on win95 it doesn't actually
work 100% of the time.
-------------------

PC/Mac technical support
Tutoring and english/computerese translation/interpreting
Humanist world revolutionary

2. Using IP forwarding

3. Possible WIn'95 & WinNT workstation & Linux on 1 machine???

4. Solaris Service Management Facility Question

6. Kernal panics: Need help!!

7. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?

8. PROBLEM: NTFS routine fs/ntfs/unistr.c does not compile

9. how do 'plug-ins' work?

10. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?

11. Win '95 & Linux

12. WIN'95 & Linux

13. Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions