Can Linux Feed Multiple Video Chips Locally to support several Video Monitors ?

Can Linux Feed Multiple Video Chips Locally to support several Video Monitors ?

Post by Mark Earl » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I am working with an EE friend of mine (Senior Engr at Tektronics) to
explore to possibility of building a PCI video card with 4 video chips on
it to support 4 seperate video monitors.  We though about using the BeOS
but it is basically single user.  We were wondering if Linux, since it is
multi-user and has X-windows, could support multiple X window sessions
locally to multiple video cards (or chips on one card).

Does anyone have any information about this or it's feasability?  Any info
would be appreciated.  Thank-you

Mark Early
Seattle, WA

Post by Christopher Brian Coloh » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I am working with an EE friend of mine (Senior Engr at Tektronics) to
>explore to possibility of building a PCI video card with 4 video chips on
>it to support 4 seperate video monitors.  We though about using the BeOS
>but it is basically single user.  We were wondering if Linux, since it is
>multi-user and has X-windows, could support multiple X window sessions
>locally to multiple video cards (or chips on one card).

>Does anyone have any information about this or it's feasability?  Any info
>would be appreciated.  Thank-you

I know that AcceleratedX (from Xi Graphics, www,xinside.com) supports this
with at least the Matrox Millenium.  Check out their web site for more info.
XFree might be able to do this as well...

Chris

Post by Mr. Caldwe » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I am working with an EE friend of mine (Senior Engr at Tektronics) to
>explore to possibility of building a PCI video card with 4 video chips on
>it to support 4 seperate video monitors.  We though about using the BeOS
>but it is basically single user.  We were wondering if Linux, since it is
>multi-user and has X-windows, could support multiple X window sessions
>locally to multiple video cards (or chips on one card).

That's called 'multiheaded', you would probably have to make a driver for the
card as well but I don't think there is any limitation to it, I could be wrong
since X allows such things as display 0 screen 1, display 0 screen 2  etc etc
etc.

My only question is this:

I have linux and a matrox card with 2 megs
I have 4 Moldy X-terminals that...work.
I have 4monitors and keyboards (xterminals) all connected up to my linux box
and they all work flawlessly with 4 people doing 120-200 tasks. It does grind a
bit on disk intensive stuff and the pipe for the teminals is 10mbps ethernet.

I can 'spawn' a window on any Xterminal to monitor various things on the 5th
and 6th Xterminal, such as QPS or the output of some rendering or kernel
compile or.......I can use a PC runnign QNX and connect...

What does this gain you other than the thrill of achievment? =)

>Does anyone have any information about this or it's feasability?  Any info
>would be appreciated.  Thank-you
>Mark Early
>Seattle, WA

Real mail address: jcaldwel at iquest dot net
code word is notaspam put in first line of message
no code word == trashed message

Post by Peter P. Eiserlo » Tue, 23 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I am working with an EE friend of mine (Senior Engr at Tektronics) to
>explore to possibility of building a PCI video card with 4 video chips on
>it to support 4 seperate video monitors.  We though about using the BeOS
>but it is basically single user.  We were wondering if Linux, since it is
>multi-user and has X-windows, could support multiple X window sessions
>locally to multiple video cards (or chips on one card).

>Does anyone have any information about this or it's feasability?  Any info
>would be appreciated.  Thank-you

Check out the General Graphics Interface (GGI) Home Page.
One of their capabilities is multi-headed displays.

  URL< http://synergy.caltech.edu/~ggi >

: None of the opinions expressed here are in any way related those
: of my employer.
: Linux, Modula-2/3, Compilers, Esperanto, Physics, Babylon-5