X Programming, need help - please! :-)

Post by Matthias Da » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

=] Hi folks... [=

A few days ago, I got an idea for a very interesting program under X.

Now the problem is, I searched almost the whole WEB for any courses
and/or tutorials on X Programming - but I found nothing. :-(

Now my question is, does there exist tutorials, electronic books,
or courses about X Programming on the WEB? If yes, where can I
find them?

And just for the case there aren't any, I'd be happy if someone could
suggest me a few books on the subject of X Programming, so I can check
them out in the library... :-)

A big thanks to everyone who helps me and please send your answer via
eMail as well, TNX!!

--

 ] { Sci-Fi, Mystery } http://www.bunt.com/~matthew { Sci-Fi, Mystery }
 ]

X Programming, need help - please! :-)

Post by Ramiro Estrug » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

You have quiote a few options, which depend on your experience and the
needs of your program.  If depends on whether you have a lot of
experience with c vs. c++ and any event driven GUI programming.

Some alternatives:

c and motif: a commercial solution that might work if you are willing
to pay around $100 or less for a toolkit.  You will also need a good
book such as "X Window System Programming with Xt (OSF/Motif Edition"
by Doug Young and probably a good reference such as Oreilly's "Motif
Reference Manual"

c++ and motif: same as above with the extra benefit (and complication)
of oop design.  You'll need a Motif/C++ book like "OOP with OSF/Motif
and C++" - again by Doug Young.

look at:  http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.framed.html

tcl/tk:  You can use this scripting language or just the gui toolkit
part in one of its many forms.

look at:  http://sunscript.sun.com/

c++ and qt: Another commerical solution, but potentially free if you
dont intend to sell your app.  They have an excellent web based docs
for the toolkit.

Look at:  http://www.troll.no/

There are also many other toolkits available including free widgetry
and commerical stuff such as open/gl.

One very promising toolkit in development is gtk which might work for
you - again it depends on your app.

Look at:  http://www.gimp.org/

Maybe if I knew more about the nature of your app I could make a
better suggestion.

-re

> =] Hi folks... [=

> A few days ago, I got an idea for a very interesting program under X.

> Now the problem is, I searched almost the whole WEB for any courses
> and/or tutorials on X Programming - but I found nothing. :-(

> Now my question is, does there exist tutorials, electronic books,
> or courses about X Programming on the WEB? If yes, where can I
> find them?

> And just for the case there aren't any, I'd be happy if someone could
> suggest me a few books on the subject of X Programming, so I can check
> them out in the library... :-)

> A big thanks to everyone who helps me and please send your answer via
> eMail as well, TNX!!

> --

>  ] { Sci-Fi, Mystery } http://www.bunt.com/~matthew { Sci-Fi, Mystery }
>  ]
>  ] Jedi, Pretender, Prophile, Trekker, X-Phile. Babylon 5, Dark Skies,
>  ]     Early Edition, Earth2, Millenium, Mr. Rhodes, Outer Limits,
> =]  PSI Factor, seaQuest DSV/2032, Lios & Clark and Union Square FAN.

--
-re

X Programming, need help - please! :-)

Post by Tim Teuling » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Or take a look at:
http://www.ping.de/sites/edge/VisualOberon.html

--
Gru?...