Maximum path size in Linux...

Post by corior.. » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
Is there a maximum path length defined anywhere in Linux.... I'm using
a character array of size 1024 but I assume that you can have
filenames/paths that are larger than this.

Any help would be appreciated,
thanks,
Cathal.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Maximum path size in Linux...

Post by Philip Armstro » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,
>Is there a maximum path length defined anywhere in Linux.... I'm using
>a character array of size 1024 but I assume that you can have
>filenames/paths that are larger than this.

$ man pathconf

Phil

Maximum path size in Linux...

Post by elle.. » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>>Is there a maximum path length defined anywhere in Linux.... I'm using
>>a character array of size 1024 but I assume that you can have
>>filenames/paths that are larger than this.
> $ man pathconf

Except, of course, that the values returned are almost guarenteed to
be unsitable for allocating memory.

Most file systems have a limit, so if you're only dealing with one
type, hardcoding it can be an option. Otherwise, there isn't a whole
lot you can do apart from picking a "big enough" default, and
increasing that when you need more space.

--

1. Maximum datagram size and maximum window size for AIX

Does anyone know:
1. What is the maximum datagram size the AIX IP implementation uses?
2. What is the maximum window size for the AIX TCP/IP implementation?
3. How, if possible, to change MTU and maximum window size on an RS6000?

Thanks in advance!

Ching Shih

2. HELP! problem with LILO ...

3. ultra 10/maximum size/maximum disks

4. Prolonged activity of HDD - why?

5. Maximum partition size/SCSI drive size

6. : ir243_endian_fix.diff

7. maximum disk request size and memory alllocation size

8. sparc Linux?

9. maximum size hard disk for linux

10. Linux 2.6.39-rc7 - Wrong Maximum Segment Size being advertised

11. Maximum core file size in Linux

12. maximum size for linux ??

13. Linux Maximum File Size