Enlightenment Vs. KDE

Post by i » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone tried Enlightenment and got it to work? What is the main
difference between KDE and Enlightenment?
Which one is better?

Enlightenment Vs. KDE

Post by Jonas Muns » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>>Has anyone tried Enlightenment and got it to work? What is the main
>>difference between KDE and Enlightenment?
>>Which one is better?
>Enlightenment is * and clever, but it sops up over 98Mb. of RAM
>on my system, which is not in keeping with the Linux spirit. KDE is a

98 MB?!?

Using a small theme with enl, you easily get it to use  less mem than,
for instance, fvwm(2). Setting the imlib cache size to something really
huge and using 24 bit pictures in your theme might very well result 98 MB
of memory used...

One important thing to observe is that enl is Development Releases now...
Not beta; not even alpha releases. It is not very stable on all systems,
some effects crash, etc. But if you are prepared to live on the bleeding
edge, it rocks! ;-)

--
Jonas Munsin          Physics student at ?bo Akademi | A social life?

IRC:EvenFlow/effe  Remove the NOSPAM part in my email| download THAT?!?

Enlightenment Vs. KDE

Post by Paul Buny » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Has anyone tried Enlightenment and got it to work? What is the main
> difference between KDE and Enlightenment?
> Which one is better?

Enlightenment looks WAAAAY too cool for me :) Seriously, it is an
extremely nice WM,if you waannt to impress your friends, but CDE
descendants might seem more usable in "serious" environment.

The other major difference is that (as far as I understand) KDE has a
goal of providing not only WM, but a set of tools with common
look-and-feel (extremely useful if you do not want to teach your users
what programs are available and how to compile them and customize
their WM to call them from a menu).

Have a nice day,

Paul

--
  ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._   UNIX *is* user-friendly, he is just very
   `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`) picky about who his friends are...

Enlightenment Vs. KDE

Post by John Bep » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Enlightenment is * and clever, but it sops up over 98Mb. of RAM
>on my system, which is not in keeping with the Linux spirit. KDE is a
>down-to-earth CDE.

  In defense of Enlightenment, I only have a mere 486/66
  with 24 meg of RAM, and I find Enlightenment usable when
  running X at 8bpp.  I like E so much, I deleted all the
  other window managers off my HD to conserve space.

--

1. Windowmaker Vs. Enlightenment Vs. KDE

Which of the above three is more lightweight in terms of
memory and processor requirements.

VA

Fax +1-602-456-7140       +1-602-456-7345  ------   ,__o
....................................      ------  _-\_<,
Motorola India Electronics Ltd.          ------  (*)/'(*)

  Vinay_Avasthi-A12733.vcf
< 1K Download

2. kppp kinternet not working

3. KDE vs. Enlightenment

4. Please Help! RH5.1 and Initio 6102 SCSI

5. KDE vs GNOME and what about Enlightenment?

6. my AMD-DX4 120 is slow

7. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE

8. Pb performance on librairie Storagetek

9. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

10. kdm vs. xdm (kde vs WMaker) ?

11. kde 2 vs kde 1

12. KDE vs. GNOME vs CDE (?)

13. KDE location in filesystem under RH /opt/kde vs /usr