** telnet api for linux? **

Post by validu » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

From spln!extra.newsguy.com!newsp.newsguy.com!not-for-mail Mon May 31 19:07:08 1999

Newsgroups: comp.unix.programmer
Subject: ** telnet api for linux? **
Date: 28 May 1999 23:46:33 GMT

OK I've checked for a FAQ for this group but I didn't find any and I've
checked with comp.unix.programmer but I have been unable to find a telnet
api for linux.  I am looking for something with GNU distribution or
similar (free).  Anyway I had tried just setting up a stream pipe to a
telnet process but I didn't have much luck.  Basically I just want to be
able to pass some commands to a telnet session and read the output.
Rather than trying to code a telnet client, I figured it would be less
buggy (and easier) to find an api to do this or interface with
/usr/bin/telnet. Has anyone used one or can someone shed some light on an
algorithm to communicate with a telnet process?  BTW the code must
be in C.  Thanks in advance.

validus

** telnet api for linux? **

Post by Frank v Waver » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'd suggest using netcat, since this doesn't alter the charachterstream in any
way, wich is probably what you want... Wouldn't just redirecting stdout and stdin
work?

--

                        Frank v Waveren

                        ICQ# 10074100

** telnet api for linux? **

Post by Victor Wagn » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

: OK I've checked for a FAQ for this group but I didn't find any and I've
: checked with comp.unix.programmer but I have been unable to find a telnet
: api for linux.  I am looking for something with GNU distribution or
: similar (free).  Anyway I had tried just setting up a stream pipe to a
: telnet process but I didn't have much luck.  Basically I just want to be
: able to pass some commands to a telnet session and read the output.
: Rather than trying to code a telnet client, I figured it would be less
: buggy (and easier) to find an api to do this or interface with
: /usr/bin/telnet. Has anyone used one or can someone shed some light on an
: algorithm to communicate with a telnet process?  BTW the code must
: be in C.  Thanks in advance.

Really, it is much simplier to write telnet client then write interface
to telnet process in plain C. Sockets are simple and communication with
interactive program is not so simple.

If you have no such requirement as write in C I'll reccomend you to use
Expect. But, unless you are familiar with Expect as scripted tool
(tcl-based) it is not easy to use it as C library. Forget about it and
just write very basic telnet client strictly according to RFC. Really
you'll need to implement a small part of protocol just to get logged in
and run some cmdline tools.
: validus

I don't answer questions by private E-Mail from this address.

1. ** telnet api for linux? **

OK I've checked the FAQ for this group and a few others but I have been
unable to find a telnet api for linux.  I am looking for something with
GNU distribution or similar (free).  Anyway I had tried just setting up a
stream pipe to a telnet process but I didn't have any luck.  Basically I
just want to be able to pass some commands to a telnet session and read
the output.  Rather than trying to code a telnet client, I figured it
would be less buggy (and easier) to find an api to do this.  Has anyone
used one or can someone shed some light on an algorithm to communicate
with a telnet process?  Thanks in advance.

validus

2. futex requeueing feature, futex-requeue-2.5.69-D3

3. Telnet Client API Anyone?

4. IP filtering setup

5. Telnet API

6. Network Problem.. need help..

7. Modem with ambient chipset problem (IntelHAM)

8. Telnet Negotiation @ Pathway API

9. HCON API/API programming ...

10. Spell checking API - API to ISPELL needed

11. telnet from w98->Linux ok, but can't telnet Linux->w98